Hi I had a look at AK Chevrolet truck for sale here in Denmark today, but I am bit puzzled by the chassis number as it does not match any format I have been able to find. Am I missing something ?
On the chassis number, I believe the X is an add-on at some point. 8PW would be the plant (8=Atlanta) and model (PW=6400) for a 1946 truck. The following numbers would be the 2772nd truck off the line.
The DEA prefix on the engine number also indicates a 1946 Flint plant built engine.
So rather than a 1947, that appears to be a 1946 data plate. If you can find the serial numbers on the rear axle and transmission, that will help determine the actual truck year. As Kevinski said, a data plate pop riveted on is suspect. See attached for reference.
Nice looking truck, though.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I think Mike B's idea has merit on the "X" being used to identify an exported vehicle. Not specifically related to a truck exported to Europe, but this very old conversation in the VCCA forums alludes to the "X" being used at the beginning of serial numbers on Canadian manufactured Chevrolet trucks exported to Australia. Could be that's how GM did it for all exported vehicles when post WWII production resumed???
This might be a question to post in the International Zone forum where others Bolters in Europe can offer any related answers or info.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Hi Thanks for all the comments. I was also pondering if the X could be something about denoting export or if it could be a locally assembled one. There was Chevrolet Assembly factory in Copenhagen from 1923 until 1965.
The truck had been restored at some point, and the data plate has most likely been off to allow for painting, and then pop rivet back. Here in Denmark its only stamped chassis numbers in frame or body work that are valid.
It was fitted with a 1954 engine, overall it had been an okay truck, but it had suffered from standing outside for a while and needed redoing now, so I walked away.
That's too bad. Lot rot doesn't take long to set in on vehicles left outside and not driven.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Yes, in the climate we have here you cant store anything outside, without heavy deterioration. Even though it was sad to see it in this condition, it was also good as I could walk away from it without buying it because I am not looking for any more projects.