| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,266 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 119 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 119 | Anyone have experience with the so-called "universal" type compressed air hose couplers?
As I understand it, there are several proprietary types that were developed by different manufacturers, but there are the universal types that cover two or three common styles.
---> Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 | bought the universal types before, and they leaked after awhile, not real bad, just enough to irritate me. better, i think to buy the sets that have different fittings and change all to the same type. oh yeah--keep one of the packages so you have the number when you buy a new tool and need the coupler. i just keep an old package in my air tool drawer.  | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | Go with the steel type as the brass ones will wear out quicker and cause leaks at the connections.
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 35 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 35 | When I got my set-up going, I took one of the connectors i had and went to the store and bought handfulls to match. I also bought several extra and keep them in my air tool bin.
Lowes and Home Depot sell connections that are color coded so all you have to do is remember your particular connection color. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 119 Member | | Member Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 119 | I should have clarified... I sometimes do work in, and occasionally borrow tools from, a couple of other shops. All three locations have different systems. A real inconvenience to have to swap air plugs everytime you want to use a tool, which is what led me to ask about the universal types.
Changing my system to match another would be easy enough, but I can't match both, so I guess I'll need to make some adaptor fittings.
Thanks for the replies.
---> Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 35 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 35 | When I started, I borrowed some air tools from a friend that used to be a mechanic and matched his fittings. He uses tools from several shops as well and has made adapters that he keeps on hand. When he borrows tools from another garage, just grap one of the adapters and go to work. The adapters can easily be swaped and matched to fit any applications. | | |
| |
| |