The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jon G, dt235sd, Wally / Montana, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#156546 05/19/2002 3:54 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 119
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 119
Anyone have experience with the so-called "universal" type compressed air hose couplers?

As I understand it, there are several proprietary types that were developed by different manufacturers, but there are the universal types that cover two or three common styles.

---> Bill

#156547 05/20/2002 5:11 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
bought the universal types before, and they leaked after awhile, not real bad, just enough to irritate me. better, i think to buy the sets that have different fittings and change all to the same type. oh yeah--keep one of the packages so you have the number when you buy a new tool and need the coupler. i just keep an old package in my air tool drawer. cool

#156548 05/20/2002 8:47 PM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Go with the steel type as the brass ones will wear out quicker and cause leaks at the connections.


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#156549 05/21/2002 11:35 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 35
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 35
When I got my set-up going, I took one of the connectors i had and went to the store and bought handfulls to match. I also bought several extra and keep them in my air tool bin.

Lowes and Home Depot sell connections that are color coded so all you have to do is remember your particular connection color.

#156550 05/21/2002 2:08 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 119
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 119
I should have clarified... I sometimes do work in, and occasionally borrow tools from, a couple of other shops. All three locations have different systems. A real inconvenience to have to swap air plugs everytime you want to use a tool, which is what led me to ask about the universal types.

Changing my system to match another would be easy enough, but I can't match both, so I guess I'll need to make some adaptor fittings.

Thanks for the replies.

---> Bill

#156551 05/21/2002 2:20 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 35
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 35
When I started, I borrowed some air tools from a friend that used to be a mechanic and matched his fittings. He uses tools from several shops as well and has made adapters that he keeps on hand. When he borrows tools from another garage, just grap one of the adapters and go to work. The adapters can easily be swaped and matched to fit any applications.


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0