Attached photo shows the motor mounts in my 65 C10. I'm putting a 292 in it, so the passenger side has to be re-positioned forward. It appears that there is already a hole in the frame for the forward bolt, but what about the bottom of the mount where there is not a hole? Seems like if there is one in the frame there would be another one below unless I am completely wrong, which I may very well be.
Sorry for my photo. I didn't go far enough over to show the hole in the frame.
WarEagle1 - Your 292 requires a different passenger side mount support on the frame than the original 230/250 mount you have pictured. It can't just be moved forward like you mentioned. The upper section of the mount (the parts that bolt to the engine itself) is also different than the 230/250, plus there are some bolt spacers needed for attaching the right side upper section to the block mount location. The good news is the holes for the correct 292 support are all there in your frame/cross member so no drilling required. You just have to have the right support. I've attached a couple of pictures (for reference) I snagged form various on-line conversations about the predicament to try and help with answering your question. There are also a few existing threads on your topic in Stovebolt. Just use the Search page to find posts related to "292 engine mounts". If you need to go on the hunt for the correct support and related parts, don't forget you can post an ad in the Truck Parts Wanted forum.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Drivers side for the 250 and 292 are the same, yes! GM# 3822663 The RH support is GM# 3822668 for the 292. The 230/250 used GM# 3822664 for the RH.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Ok I really appreciate the help. As I've said before, I don't think this project would be possible for a novice like me without help from guys like you on this site.
It would have been a lot simpler to use a 230 or a 250 engine, wouldn't it? Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
WarEagle1, Just in case it may help in your parts search, below is a better picture showing just the 292 RH engine mount support "perch" for comparing against possible parts. Wishing you luck in finding what you need.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
That perch would be about a 1 hour fabrication job, with commonly available steel flat bar. PM me if you're interested. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Dan thank you for the photo of the RH perch. Very helpful
Jerry I appreciate the offer. I may take you up on it .
I went over to Miss. today to the guy I got the engine from but of course he just unfastened from the perch and no longer had the vehicle it came out of. Since it came out of a C-60 probably would not have worked anyway. But I did get the other hardware.
More pictures of mount, perch, and spacer. In pix 3:note spacer that holds perch off the mount. In my case I had all of the pieces and only had to move the perch location on the frame and cross member. Note: this is k10 frame with leaf springs
Last edited by Hambone; 09/29/20241:55 PM.
~ HB 1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery 1962 Chevrolet C10 1962 Suburban
Hambone, On your K10 chassis, aren't the crossmember and the perches different due to the front axle and spring set up??? The spacers to the engine block for the upper half of the mount used in both the K10 and C10 designs seem to be the same when I compare pics.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Yes springs and cross member are different, but I recall (maybe not well) that the perches and mounts crossed over to both c10 and k10. I don't have my books handy but there is a page in the assembly manual that shows both c10 and k10. Appears I only clipped the k10 graphic. Maybe my pix and description won't help. The exercise did bring some memories and shared experience as I also went from a 250 to the 292.
~ HB 1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery 1962 Chevrolet C10 1962 Suburban
i cannot find it in the assembly manual, but it appears to be different on my C10 in that the perch or bracket bolts to the top of the frame and the crossmember. I appreciate the info though