The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (rfs56trk, Gdads51, Hanks custodian, MikeStone1953, Shaffer's1950, Biermann), 74 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,084
Posts1,056,334
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#155807 07/01/2002 3:01 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly
Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
Well even if I don't have money I always like to go to a good country auction. Just got back from one and what an auction. I saw one of those big Lincoln welders on a trailer with a Wisconsin four and have often dreamed of someday getting rich and getting one. Not that I know the foggiest darn thing about one except I know that you seldom see one for sale and then I don't even think about the price. Well after I had bought the 37 Chevy pickup cab for $5.00 I was feeling good about myself. Then they sold a 26' triple axel, OSHA approved, trailer for $600 and I was feeling kinda down because I couldn't think of where I could scrape up that kind of money. But, then they got to the Lincoln welder. They started it right up and showed us it worked and wanted to start the bidding at $1,000. There was no takers. They got all the way down to $100 and Cindy was stamping on my foot, so I raised my hand just to be able to say I had at least bid on it. Darned if I didn't get it for that $100 bid. So, be warned. I'm going to be asking a ton of questions since I know nothing about this welder or for that matter , how to weld. I guess I will now need to buy a hood and gloves, so I can at least look like I know what I am doing-LOL. The dial on it says 60-375 amps. Is that ok? Oh, by the way- What is something like this worth? I hope it isn't less than $100.


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
ok-quick------get yer calculator---subtract 100 from 2500. how did you do? cool

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
Wow! did it have all the cables and accessories/clamps and such? Heck, if it doesnt even weld, the V-4 is worth alot. Can it be a generator too? Another good thing if it can.
So are those AC or DC or both?
Now, if you could just find one of those trailer compressors for that much for ME of course, could I Sand Blast! Those get big bucks for a beater even!


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 21
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 21
Koolcar and Gl here is a pic of the Lincoln Welder.
Lincoln Welder On Trailer This is the front side.
Lincoln Welder On Trailer This is the back side also in the blue pickup with the racks is the 37 cab we bought for 5:00 dollars


Times are changing-By Bob Dylan
Cindy in Oregon
1945 GMC COE Victory Truck 5ton COE- NOT FOR SALE
1955 Chevy First series 5 window p/u

1947 Antique Husband only series
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
Cid, links didn't work for me, but may be my end, as having goofy things going on here tonight.

I'm wondering how come we're seeing you doing all the posting and no Oily?? Is he a "disgruntled" stovebolter?? He isn't on his way here to get my MM is he? :rolleyes: He can't be THAT busy!

I get tired of forums too sometimes and take a break from them now and then. wink


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,602
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,602
Great buy!!
The best auctions are in the hot summer when the
farmers are doing hay,and it's too hot for the
city folk.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
i'm sure this is too complicated for you oly. tell ya what, how about i come and take this junk off yer hands and give you yer money back? just trying to take care of ya!

(evil grin cool wink grin)

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly
Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
OOPS!! Now I know I have a keeper- Koolkar wants it-LOL. From the looks of this thing it would probably be worth your while to do just that. It has 230volt and 115 volt also. It has dial settings for overhead and vertical welding, for large rods and also for special welding (what ever all of that is). It has electric start or hand crank and they said (and it looks and runs like it) that it was totally gone through 6-9 months ago.

Now for the question period.- What do I now need to start welding and will some one try to explain to me how I weld? I have seen others weld but have no idea of what is going on. What settings do I put it on? What rod do I use for what kind of job?

Heck Koolkar, I have a great idea. Why don't you come on out here and I'll let you use my new welder to do my welding for me-LOL. Sounds to me like that should work out great!!! wink smile wink


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
start with the basics oly----first see if you can weld 2x4's together (pine is o.k.) once you can do that---you can weld anything! the "special welding" setting on the machine is for repairing old sneakers, gum boots, stovebolt tires, and lightning rods. i use mine for fishing. if you can't do any of these things, it's broke and can't be fixed. i will come and remove this "junk" for you, and won't charge too much. after all, what are fiend, er friends, for? :rolleyes: cool

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
Oly: Is it with the electric start kit? I used to own one of these air cooled beasts, but you had to crank it over. Beware of the hand crank. It almost tore my arm off! grin

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
O
Oly
Offline
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 327
Yes, it came with the crank, but- It has electric start- Whew. I was welding ( like Koolkar told me to) on a flat tire on the wifes F' car and it caught on fire and burnt the dang car up. I guess I'm doing good??? Next I was wondering if my tongue would stick to that "rod thingy". Do I have to wait till it gets cold? I know that good old bum er- bud Koolkar will keep me going the right direction. This thing has more "bells and whistles" that a train engine.


Oly in Oregon

Rest in Peace

1945 GMC COE Victory Truck
1953 Willys CJ3B
1955 Chevy 1st series 3/4-ton
1958 WIFE Last series

Never say "Whoa" in a mud hole
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
That is what I thought, with all those bels and whistles, (I know how you don`t like noise)You won`t be able to handle the racket.I will haul it off for you,saves you having to pay to get rid of the noise pollution! grin


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0