I am going to restore a 1941 GMC 228. It had the Yellow Bus and Truck makers tag on it but the machine shop that cleaned it removed the tag so as not to damage it. How do you re-attach the manufacturers plate/tag? Its a small brass tag about he size of a business card, has holes in corners for rivets or?
Bill, I have a 1939, 40 & 41 GMC Book of Parts, but it doesn't list a part number for the ID plate or whatever attaches it to the block. That book and the 1940 GMC Trucks Maintenance Manual X-4044 only shows what the plate looks like and where it's located on the engine. It doesn't describe how it's attached. Below is a screen grab from a 228 picture I found on line that looks to show the plate held to the block by driven round headed rivets. Someone with more info on these engine plates may be of more help in ID'ing what rivets might be used to reattach it to the block.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
The rivets I've seen that were used to attach those tags have a short knurl just below the round head that swages itself into the blind hole in the cast iron. A plain aluminum or brass rivet with a shank about 1/8" long will expand as it bottoms out in the hole well enough to hold the tag in place. It could also be attached with epoxy cement and fake rivets inserted and glued into the holes. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Thanks It looks like i will have to drill the holes out a little and find some rivets. The machine shop only took the heads off so as not to damage the engine tag during the cleaning.
My 270 had thru-holes for the data plate. When I rebuilt it, I ended up using these brass nails from McMaster Carr. The head profile is pretty close to the factory rivets.
I cut them a little longer than the combined thickness of the data plate and the block, then peined them over on the inside. I also coated the ID of the holes with epoxy, to ensure that there would not be any oil seepage.
The only downside is, like many things with M-C, you have to buy way more than you need - in this case 25.
I'll never use all of these in my lifetime. If you're interested, PM me your name and address and I'll throw some in an envelope and toss them in the mail.