The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, BCBill), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,178
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
Still periodically trying to get the '55 GMC 503 started. Most things appear to be fine: good spark, decent compression, but possibly a fuel issue? I posted earlier about the unusual Holley 885-JJG carb with governor - rebuilt it following the manual (looked clean and correct, best I could tell). Fuel is getting to the carb as seen thru visible filter just before it. But no pop, backfire, dampness on plugs, nothing. Also no response to a few squirts of starting fluid. It's not a carb that you can look inside to see accelerator pump action; and I'm not sure, due to the unique design, if starting fluid has a direct path to manifold as in most carbs. I wonder if somehow the vacuum controlled butterfly is not open or opening correctly. The mechanical response when applying the gas pedal is directly to the accelerator pump but not directly connected to the butterflies. BUT I'm not 100% sure it's a fuel issue. Murphy has taught me that what seems like one thing may actually be something quite unrelated. Your ideas?


1955 GMC 630, 1959 GMC W660, 1958 Chevy Spartan 80
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
If the engine won't run for a few seconds by pouring a little gasoline down the carburetor throat, you've got an ignition or valve timing problem. Just having a good spark isn't enough- - - -it has to happen at the right time, when the piston is at or very near the top of the compression stroke. Are you sure you have the spark plug firing order set correctly? I seem to remember the 503 I worked with having a distributor that rotated CCW, possibly, or maybe it had a non-standard firing order? Have someone tap the starter with the distributor cap removed while you watch for the direction of rotation of the rotor.


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
Thanks....it does have an unusual firing order, and I have determined that it rotates clockwise. But I haven't checked to see if the wires are in the correct clock position. I'll find #1 TDC and check that.


1955 GMC 630, 1959 GMC W660, 1958 Chevy Spartan 80
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,878
jaycoop, Just in case it may be helpful, here is a Holley 885JJG tech document that could be useful in future work on the carb. Here's another one from one of our very reliable sources. wink

Last edited by Gdads51; 05/10/2024 4:08 PM.

~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
Great, thank you! I'll check these out. I have found a lot more info on the rebuilding and adjusting of these carbs, as opposed to troubleshooting.


1955 GMC 630, 1959 GMC W660, 1958 Chevy Spartan 80
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 181
Got it running! It had several issues. One was the manifold was flooded- it was just hard to see in there to be sure at first, due to the design of the carb. The second problem was that even with a good battery, it wasn't winging over quite fast enough, so put 2 strong batteries in parallel, and it was much improved. I checked the firing order and the distributor clock positions and it was good, but I doublechecked the points gap and found that I had to fatten the gap a bit. It fired up fairly quickly after these things were addressed.


1955 GMC 630, 1959 GMC W660, 1958 Chevy Spartan 80

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0