The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (CandoBrent, 2 invisible), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1545375 04/29/2024 11:01 PM
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 98
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 98
So I had a frayed cable that that would not retract properly on the right side. I had made a post afew months back looking for the cable. A couple of bolters posted some good information about the cable length and a company that sold cable products. Well I ended up having the correct cable made but I had to send them the old cable so the correct length and ends could be installed and the original reel connection reused. The reel I removed had a twist in it so a replacement was needed. The manufacturer and part # is Pullman Rochester NY USA 105-A 9-11 ?LB. I believe this is the original reel. I will pull the left side out tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_20240429_131510.jpg (226.6 KB, 53 downloads)

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 136
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 136
Pullman is the original manufacturer of the reel, the same reel that is used for double hung windows. The cable ends need to be swaged, and the cable is a high tensile aircraft wire cable.
I think I included all this information in my original gallery post.

You will never have to replacde them again!
Regards, Mark


1958 GMC Suburban Carryall
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Gallery Forum


Never accept a drink from a urologist!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,940
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,940
For anyone in need, here is the Pullman MFG Spring Balances web page for sourcing replacements for your lift gate needs. wink

sub57, when I look at the source pics, the Part# 105-A 9 to 11 lb. (Type A Overhead style) shows as having a 90 degree bend mounting tab on the cable connector end. Your pic shows both tabs flat to the reel face. Did you simple straighten that tab to use for your installation???
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 98
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 98
No that is the is how both reels were installed with flat tabs. The bottom has a bolt as it shows but the top tab slides in the notch on the top where the reel feeds through. The repair manual states it bolts in on top and bottom but that's not how they were installed on this suburban. It would be very difficult to install a top bolt. When I called Pullman she wanted me to send her a picture of what style reel came out of the suburban. That's how they made it because you have to special order them. They worked perfectly and only cost $38.00 apiece plus tax and shipping. I also wanted to mention that the guides mounted to the inside of the body where the cable exits through to go down to the gate. Its easy to miss and a bit of a pain to get the cable lined up.


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0