The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, GRNHydra, greenie-reddy, 1 invisible), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,353
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1536525 02/13/2024 4:46 AM
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 6
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 6
Hello and thanks for a great forum. I've just joined and thought it best to say hello. I have '54 GMC 100 that I bought a couple months ago and will be gradually restoring. I've got an old motorcycle that I want to finish before I get too heavy into the truck but I'll be picking away at it. I'm working on getting it running right now so that I can move it around easily when necessary. I'll have plenty of questions as I move along I'm sure. Great forum, just poking around I see a lot of great information.

Thanks

Last edited by Peggy M; 03/13/2024 10:06 PM. Reason: edit title
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,486
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,486
First, welcome to the ‘bolt! Sounds like a great start for your project. We would love it, if you could tell us a bit about your truck, its history, your goals and what if any, you have already accomplished on restoring your truck.

And of course we ‘Bolters love pictures, so please post some. Instructions on how to post images are on the bottom of the left margin on this page.

Again, Welcome to the bolt!

Last edited by Phak1; 02/13/2024 1:30 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,950
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,950
Welcome to Stovebolt! thumbs_up Very interested in seeing some pics of your truck and more of the story behind it. Before you get started posting questions, give this post Welcome - and now where do you go?? a look see. It will help you begin to navigate the site and your information journey. wink

Looking forward to helping you as best we can! shake


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 6
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 6
Thanks for the welcome. What I know about the truck is basically that one fellow bought it about thirty years ago from the original owner. He had it about fifteen years, took it apart and started working on it and buying parts. He apparently then lost his workspace and sold it. The fellow I bought it from purchased the project from the second owner about fifteen years ago, did a few odds and ends and then....lost his workspace so put it up for sale. I bought it a couple months ago. Hopefully I'll be able to carry on and get it back together. I'd like to put it back pretty close to original.

It is a deluxe model, all the stainless trim is with it as well as the hood ornament, model numbers for the hood, etc. Ashtray, clock and interior visors are all in the several boxes that came with it. The cab is mostly surface rust but the firewall, interior and bed show mostly the original dark green along with the lighter green dash etc. It came with a cab visor as well that appears to be the same dark green and vintage as the rest of the truck. The guy I bought the truck from thought the visor was original to it, but I don't know. Somewhere along the line the original 248 was removed and the truck currently has a '58 to '62 Chev truck 235 in it and the four speed. Coincidentally the same week I bought the truck I came across a 302 GMC out of a '54 dump truck, I'm going to put that in it eventually.

PS, it's an Oakland, Ca manufactured truck according to the id plate.

That's about it, more questions to come, thanks again.
Attachments
20240105_112632[10358].jpg (231.21 KB, 210 downloads)
'54 GMC
20240129_131414.jpg (195.33 KB, 210 downloads)
"54 interior


1954 GMC 100 project
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Welcome to Stovebolt. We are here to help. Ask questions in the garage forums and we'll do the rest. We have quite a few GMC guys here.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Nice start.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Welcome to the 'bolt. Work on your project at least 15 minutes every day.. and it will be done before you know it.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 6
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 6
Thanks for the welcome replies.....and sound advice. I think trying to work on it at least a little bit as suggested is a great idea. I actually have done a little of that recently. I hooked up a temp gas tank, installed points, condenser and plugs and set the timing over a few days. Now I can at least drive it in and out, or over into the middle of the shop as necessary.


1954 GMC 100 project
Joined: Nov 2023
Posts: 283
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2023
Posts: 283
Welcome, looks like your truck has some good bones!

Last edited by Peggy M; 02/17/2024 3:30 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Jeff
1964 Chevrolet K10 Fleetside
"A Kid's First Truck"
Follow in the DITY
1951 Chevrolet 3100
Follow his build in the Project Journals
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible | 2020 Chevrolet Silverado | 3500 Duramax | 2021 GMC Sierra Denali
USAF Veteran 1983-1987 | PSP retired 1990- 2012
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 558
S
Donald S.
Donald S.
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 558
Welcome, It looks like you got a very nice project ahead. You can get answers to those many questions here.


1949 Chevy Carry All
Follow the resto in the Project Journals

1953 Chevy 5-window
"Frame off Restoration"
Follow the resto in the DITY

Beginning to End Slideshow
More images in Flickr
\|/\|/ Dual Ex. \|/\|/Dynamat

Please don't tell my wife how much this thing cost!
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
Wow, looks great with that original patina on it! Great start for whatever direction you want to go with it!


1953 Chevy 3100
   235, 3 spd. Mostly original so far
"The 1953 that Came Back"
Follow the build in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
Welcome to the 'bolt from N.E. Oregon, good to have another pnw member. Nice GMC.


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Jan 2024
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2024
Posts: 95
Welcome to the group. I'm in Washington also. Near Shelton. I'm fairly new here also. We have a 51 GMC 100. These people are the best if you have questions. I've learned some things the hard way. Never buy rubber gaskets and seals from lmctruck.com. They are horrible! I'll just leave it at that. Welcome fellow Washingtonian.


1951 GMC 100
First attempt on a restoration
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Welcome to stovebolt. Nice truck and nice to get a 302. I think you're on the right track, just be sure to ask if you need anything. Have fun!

Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 6
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2024
Posts: 6
Thanks to everyone for the welcomes. I've got her running and I'm in the process of converting to a dual master cylinder and replacing brake lines just so everything is safe and working well. I need to be able to move in and out of the shop easily. I'm starting to think about the 302 as well and how to set it up. I want to keep it simple, but we'll see how it looks inside soon.


1954 GMC 100 project
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,083
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,083
Ehb86,
Glad to see you've got an update for us. You are now past the "moderated" stage so from here out, your posts will sail on thru. Plus, you can send PMs. It's great to welcome another GMC truck. smile


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
Great potential I hope you hang in there.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0