The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
I thought I had an issue with my switch. When I first tried to use it with a new motor
the switch needed some deoxit spray and it worked. But felt a little strange in the off /low /high.
Not a well defined transition. So when I tried this year, the wiper does not work.
I figured the switch finally went and needed a new one. I found one NOS ,installed it. Wiper still does not
work. I`ve traced everything and I think I have a ground issue. My question is,
Does the switch have to be grounded to the back of the dash? There may be rust there. I feel the motor is
properly grounded. I just put a new one in. It worked fine till it sat for a few months.

Last edited by Peggy M; 03/25/2024 4:44 PM. Reason: added more info to the title

~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 430
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 430
Remember this is a ground thru the switch wiring.. The Positive is always on when key is on to the motor.
So yes if you have a bad ground thru the switch it may give you issues.

quoting Orge from this thread which has pictures.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=733878

"most pre-1980 electric wipers wire the same, power to the motor and ground thru the switch
the reason for this is the park function of the wipers
if you switch the power the wipers will stop where ever they are when the power is turned off
by switching the ground the internal cam switch keeps the motor on to the park area

the stock 2 speed electric wiper motor that orrieg posted has the switch on the motor and uses the same cable operator as the vacuum wipers
if your switch is a non-oem wired switch it will wire the same way; power to the motor and switched ground"

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,100
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,100
58-59 Trucks used a different motor than the 55-57 with the cable actuated switch.
They use a remote switch like the newer vehicles. It still may need to be grounded.
Fred

Note: The one shown in the link is the early type with the cable. Not sure why it is in a 59 but it is not
the normal configuration for that year.


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
Thats what I was thinking. Pic of the switch. Exactly what was in there and the wipers did work
with the old switch. Only thing that I have not checked and is the old original wire harness
from switch to motor. Ground to back of dash,if it needs it.
Attachments
wiper sw.jpg2.jpg (67.38 KB, 40 downloads)
wiper sw.jpg3.jpg (94.16 KB, 40 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
Turned out to be the wiring harness. The 2 wire harness thats up
at the wiper motor makes a hard right turn down and away from the top of the firewall.
That spade connection inside the harness was not good from being bent.


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0