The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Paul Mullen, JW51, GrandpasJimmy), 96 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
I recently purchased a stock rewire kit for my 46 1/2 ton with a generator. Chevys of the 40’s had it. What I got for instructions are 3 pages of xerox copied diagrams (2) and one page showing wire destinations and the corresponding number. Nearly half of the page with wire numbers is unreadable so I don’t know what goes where for some of it. I’m not electrically inclined so this is a problem since I can’t read wiring schematics.
I did ask them for a better copy which I was told would be emailed to me. Didn’t happen.
Does anyone have a clear copy from a past job? There are also wires with letters on them and the page only seems to address numbers on the wires and their respective locations.
Thanks for any help.


1946 Chevy 1/2 ton "patina" pickup with a 1953 235 engine, otherwise all stock and unmolested!
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
Do you have the part number for the kit? You may be able to download the instructions from the web site.

I doubt that Chevs of the 40's made the harness. Might be able to figure out who made it and get better support from the source.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
I’ve searched their site for that kind of literature. Couldn’t find any. They didn’t offer anything about the site either while I had them on the phone.


1946 Chevy 1/2 ton "patina" pickup with a 1953 235 engine, otherwise all stock and unmolested!
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
They sell several variations of harnesses. I think you have to tell us which one you bought.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
Wiring Harness, Main - For Generator And Turn Signals - Plastic Covered Wire - Chevy Truck


1946 Chevy 1/2 ton "patina" pickup with a 1953 235 engine, otherwise all stock and unmolested!
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
So this one:
https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detai..._Signals_Plastic_Covered_Wire_Chevy.html

I see the problem. They have provided a link for instructions for a harness with an alternator.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,886
Bob, I did a little digging on the web to see if "Chevs of the 40s" had a different set of instructions with one of their other harnesses, but no luck - Booo! Seems like the only option may be another call to them to note the wrong file is attached to the product page and ask for a copy of the correct document. Wishing you the best of luck in your next call to them. smile


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
Originally Posted by Gord&Fran
So this one:
https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detai..._Signals_Plastic_Covered_Wire_Chevy.html

I see the problem. They have provided a link for instructions for a harness with an alternator.
I do have that sheet as well but there’s another similar to it for generator trucks. That’s the one that is horribly copied so many times it’s unreadable. And it doesn’t include the several wires that have letters on them and where they go.

Last edited by Peggy M; 02/08/2024 7:18 PM.

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton "patina" pickup with a 1953 235 engine, otherwise all stock and unmolested!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
It might be tough to do, but if you can identify one end of the wire (such as the ammeter connection end,) you could use a multimeter (or powered test light) to "ring out" the opposite end of that wire. Clip one meter probe on the known end, and then touch every other wire with the other probe. When you get the beep (or light), you'll know that's the other end of the same wire.

If you have specific spots you can't ID, list them, and maybe someone with an original wiring diagram can help you figure it out.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
I'll keep that in mind when I get into it all, thank you. I get the feeling it's going to be a bit of a mystery for several of the wires and over time I'll figure it all out. I can connect all of the important ones that make it run though in the meantime. I also realize I have to figure out how to remove the gauge cluster from the dash... yay.


1946 Chevy 1/2 ton "patina" pickup with a 1953 235 engine, otherwise all stock and unmolested!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
It's starting to look lie your situation is quickly approaching the point where you're in danger of getting a "positive smoke test" with some incorrect connections. A battery has a massive amount of current available- - - -several hundred amps are on tap in a "dead short" condition. One wrong circuit can cause a meltdown that can destroy the wire harness, or at least a good sized portion of it. I'd strongly suggest getting some professional help from someone who understands basic electrical wiring and how to trace circuits such as the power supply and charging system circuits . Those are the ones than can cause a meltdown with a wrong connection- - - -and the damage can happen in the span of a few seconds. Good luck!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Yeah, I agree with Jerry. DO NOT connect the battery until you've checked out the connections and are absolutely sure they're correct. Learning circuit diagrams can be good, but spoiled in just a few seconds. That's why I suggested using a powered test light or ohmmeter. They don't have enough power to generate a "positive smoke test."


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
Jerry, Klhansen, thanks for the tips. I will absolutely take safeguards to prevent trashing my harness. I have friends that know stuff electricalish... And so I'll consult them during the install.
Have either of you removed the gauge cluster on a 46 pickup? I've been feeling around in there, losing skin and blood, and can't seem to find the fasteners that hold it in.
Thanks
Bob


1946 Chevy 1/2 ton "patina" pickup with a 1953 235 engine, otherwise all stock and unmolested!
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
And be sure to install light bulbs in every socket before energizing the system, once saw a new harness go up in smoke because of that….


Hank: 46 Chev 1/2ton shortbed
2023 Miata RF Club
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
A bright light and a mirror is a lot better way to find those fasteners that poking around sharp stuff in the dark- - - -with your hands!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 352
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 352
I looked on EPay for a picture of the gauges and found this one. It appears to be one on each end.
Attachments
46 Chev truck gauges.jpg (81.15 KB, 189 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
1955 1 Series, That is a good reference, thanks. Now I know what to feel for. With a flashlight and mirror of course. Lol

Last edited by Peggy M; 02/16/2024 3:14 AM.

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton "patina" pickup with a 1953 235 engine, otherwise all stock and unmolested!
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 352
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 352
Glad I could help.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Bob
One “tool” I found a game changer was to make a platform to lay on while working on all the under the dash tasks. It sure helped my old back. The platform is a piece of plywood about 40 inches long and about 12 inches wide, custom cut to fit between the seat pedestal and toe board sheet metal. The board lays flat on the floor board and sticks outside the cab about 20 inches and is supported on the outside by 2 legs. It helped to add a thin “mattress” on the platform for added comfort. Unfortunately, I apparently didn’t shoot a photo of the one I made.

As for the wiring. I experienced a similar problem to yours, except the new harness was of unknown origin. It came in a bag without any instructions, that along all the other parts and pieces of my project. As the others have urged and I agree, the ohm meter is your friend.

It helped to lay out the whole harness on a work bench and do as others suggested to trace each wire using the ohm meter. The
wiring diagram in the ‘46 Chevy Truck Shop Manual provided helpful guidance in deciphering wire application, such as head and tail lighting, horn etc. and routing.

Last edited by 46Sparky; 02/16/2024 3:22 PM.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Note to self. Chevs of 40's has the worst instructions I have ever seen, even if you could read them.

The good news is you have the simplest wiring job there is. If you told us the "letters" on the wires and good scans of your unreadable instructions, we would have a fighting chance to cypher it all out for you. Also, you may not have to take out the cluster just to wire two gauges. Even though It looks like only two nuts, if not rusted on so bad that you break off the stud and then you are in a heap of trouble. Also, You would have to disconnect or drag out the speedo, temp and oil pressure tubes. Many of us have learned to spot these death traps.

Wire the gauges and bulbs in place. if at all possible. If not, spray the nuts/studs with penetrating oil and drop the cluster down, or out, for access. Work the nuts back and forth and gradually unthread. I think the bulb sockets just pop out and will hang down for rewire.

I'm not specifically familiar with a 46 cluster mounting, going by pics.
Attachments
46 dash.jpg (242.61 KB, 133 downloads)


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Originally Posted by 46Sparky
One “tool” I found a game changer was to make a platform to lay on while working on all the under the dash tasks. It sure helped my old back.

Many versions on the market. This is one of the less costly ones. Dash Surf Board
Attachments
creeper1.jpg (27.73 KB, 150 downloads)
creeper2.jpg (124.19 KB, 150 downloads)

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Mark, Figures *you* would know the right tool for the job! I just ordered a complete new harness for the '49 from Jim Carter. I *will* be looking at the Jegs site next. wink

Thanks!
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 120
Thanks folks. I’ll likely remove the cluster (cautiously) because it has some rust issues from a leaky windshield seal. While it’s removed I want to try and get the speedometer, temp, and one other gauge working again.
I’ll try and get some pics of the lettered wires that the instructions do not make mention of.


1946 Chevy 1/2 ton "patina" pickup with a 1953 235 engine, otherwise all stock and unmolested!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
That dedicated platform is OK, but I've found that a sheet of 3/4" plywood and a concrete block works just as well, and leaves more pocket change for essentials like hotdogs and beer!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 439
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 439
'46 harness is pretty basic compared to modern wiring. I'd lay it all out on a bench and figure it all out with what you can see on your diagram, and service manual, compare with lengths etc. isolate the unknowns and chase down the ends with your meter. Once you study it out and have it labeled so that you have understand it, it won't feel nearly as overwhelming as it does when you drag it out of the box. Relabel with blue painters tape and a sharpie that you can tear off later if it helps you. (it always works for me) After you've got it all figured out, THEN install. And that will help with the "smoke test" that Jerry is referring to! There's just not that many circuits in a '46 when you are staying original. AND as always, it's great to be good, but a little LUCK never hurts, so good luck.


Larry
Old man᠁Old truck᠁neither one goes very fast. All you need in life is TIME, PATIENCE and MONEY.
If you are missing one component, you'll need an abundance of the others two.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0