The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (55shaker, Paul Mullen, 3B, 68ironhead, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny, keithfielder), 91 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,557
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 148
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 148
Yeah, I know, how many of these threads do we have already??! dang I've been reading the archives and picked up at least one thing to try. Here's the situation:

1949 3600, mid '50's 235 with recent valve job and new fuel pump, distributor and coil. 6 month old NOS Zenith 228 that went on right out of the box. My wiring is crap so I've hard wired a wire from the key switch directly to the + terminal of the coil, bypassing the stomp starter.

Truck was running like a dream for the last 6 months since I put the Zenith on. It was a carb that had sat on someone's shelf forever (even came with the Pep Boys receipt from 1970). I didn't think I'd get more than a week out of it before having to rebuild it, but it still looks pristine and all the rubber is fine, ethanol or no.

So, truck was running brilliantly, but getting poor mileage (about 10-11 MPG) so I leaned out the main jet (this Zenith still has the adjustable main). Instead of 4 1/2 turns out (what the manual advises) I turned the jet in to about 2 1/2 turns out. Result was that the truck was more dependent on choke to start, and had a little struggle when cold to accelerate at the bottom (but no problem once past 1,000 RPM). No measurable change in fuel consumption though ohwell

So these settings work for several months then the truck starts to demonstrate more of a stumble on the low end and particularly when cold, but would be fine above 1,000 RPM. Suddenly, last week, I go driving off cold, get about 1/4 mile and the engine goes rough and quits. I restart it and 100 yards on it dies for good. Really sounded like fuel starvation but a failing coil does something similar.

On disassembly the carb is spotless everywhere, no corroding rubber. The accelerator pump works like a champ from beginning to end of the stroke. The fuel pump is dumping so much fuel into a jar I suspect perhaps too much pressure? Check the float level and it is 3/16"-1/4" too high so I reset that. Truck still won't start (it wants to but won't). Acts like too rich, but doesn't smell flooded. Points look good, plugs are black but not much build up, distributor cap and rotor are looking nearly new. I spark test and sure enough: very anemic spark. Swap out the coil for a new NAPA 905 (internal resistor) and the truck starts right up with a little choke. Idle is set too low and engine dies, I put a couple twists on the idle screw and start it again. Runs great, nice and smooth. Idle is too high (1,000 RPM) but I let it go for 2 minutes like that to warm up and at about 2 minutes the engine starts to stumble and then dies.

Jon (CarbKing) in a 2014 post mentioned tank vacuum and gas caps as a possible culprit, so I'm going to check that. I did put on a new cap 2 tanks ago and immediately noticed the truck no longer smelled of gas on bumpy roads, but it's driven through 2 tanks of gas with that cap, so . . .

What else am I missing? Another old post mentioned rubber fuel line but I only have a couple inches of that from frame to fuel pump.

Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,476
You didn't say your truck had been converted to 12 volts. If it has not, a coil with an internal resistor just isn't going to work.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,887
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,887
New fuel pumps are all garbage from China. Measure fuel pressure and volume output at the carburetor.
In the meantime, find an original fuel pump or an American made one from 30+ years ago and have it rebuilt by Then & Now Automotive.

Regardless of how clean your carburetor looks, you'd be wise to rebuild it properly.

What's the story on your condenser? They're also junk from the get go. Get one of Jon G's 200,000 hr condensers. (see topic pinned at top of Electrical forum)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 557
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 557
Take the line off the fuel pump and blow compressed air back into the tank. Cheap test.


~~ Jethro
1954 3100
Back to Life
In the Dity Gallery
1951 3100 (gone) / 1956 4400 (still in the neighborhood) / 1957 6400 with dump body (retired) / 1959 3100 panel (in the woods junked) / 1978 Custom Deluxe K10 / 1993 S-10 4.3 / 2004 Chevy Crew Cab / 1945 John Deere H / 1952 John Deere B / 1966 John Deere 2510 / 1967 John Deere 1020
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 148
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 148
The truck has been converted to 12V throughout.

Will a failing condenser act like a failing coil? I do have 2 of Jon G's condensers. Bought them just in case.

I'm getting gobs of fuel all the way up to the carburetor. I pull the line off at the carb and crank and the fuel pump spits out a pint in seconds.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,887
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,887
I had a new condenser in a '66 Mustang go bad in under 1500 miles.

Car started and ran normally until I reached highway speed. It then started cutting out intermittently and running extremely rough.

After I managed to get home I started checking every single thing I could find. I thought the timing chain had jumped a tooth because it started backfiring through the carb when I tried to start it.

I never bothered checking the condenser because it was brand new.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,887
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,887
Gobs of fuel means nothing. Measure the pressure. Your fuel pump could be over-pressurizing the carburetor. 2-4psi max. My truck's pump puts out 2.5psi


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 148
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 148
Never ever had a coil or a condenser go bad as a teenage shade tree mechanic in the 70's and 80's. Now it seems like they're consumables! I will throw on one of Jon's solid state condensers tomorrow and report back.

I don't have a gauge to check fuel pressure. Will go see what I can find down at O'Reilly's . . .

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,887
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,887
They're cheap - about $20. They also test vacuum pressure. Pretty handy to have on hand.

Ya, I never had a condenser go bad until recently, either.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 901
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Online: Content
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 901
Put a new condenser on my John Deere riding mower when I tuned it up. It went bad in an hour and a half. Put the old one back on and it ran fine. They just don't make stuff like they used to.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 148
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 148
Wellllll . . . . it appears it was the condenser. I pulled the old one off (it came with the new distributor I put on last year) and tested it. Appeared fine on the multimeter; it did that exact same thing of jumping up on the Ohm meter to eventually settle at 0. Jon G's fancy condensers did the same when I tested them. Anyway, I had the thing off so might as well put on one of Jon's and sure enough the truck kicked right off. Drives like it has another 20hp.

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
That is what we like to hear. Thanks for letting us know what the fix was.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,887
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,887
Hahaha! That's awesome!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0