The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Brian Moore, panel fan), 166 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1524640 11/05/2023 1:27 AM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 128
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 128
Hi all. I have developed a pretty good oil leak. However, I cannot determine exactly where it is coming from. I did notice that when I pulled the dipstick, the oil smelled like gasoline. I ran the truck and warmed it up good and again inspected for where the leak was coming from and could not find it. Lot of oil blown across the bottom half of the engine and oil pan. I drained the oil and it wreaked of gasoline. What would cause gasoline to be getting in the oil?

Darrell Day #1524641 11/05/2023 1:46 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
Mechanical fuel pump diaphragm has a crack and pumping fuel into the engine. Age of pump and also today's fuel can cause this. Avoid today's new fuel pumps, visit Then and Now Automotive for repair of current pump. Advise not to drive. I had this to occur, one side effect is it tends to remove engine sludge upon draining oil.


1952 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Darrell Day #1524642 11/05/2023 1:55 AM
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,815
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,815
Yes. Everything papa said.

Send your original fuel pump to Then and Now Automotive for a rebuild. New ones aren't worth a plug nickle.

They rebuilt mine a year or so ago and I've put many thousands of miles on it.

If your fuel pump is a new pump, find an original pump or one built in the USA 30 years or more ago and send it to T&N.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Darrell Day #1524647 11/05/2023 2:55 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
Ditto on the leaky fuel pump. Most fuel pumps have a hole in the lower housing that lets at least most of the leak vent to the outside before it makes its way into the crankcase. That also accounts for the oily residue along the bottom of the engine. Air blowing over the fuel pump housing pushes the leak back along the oil pan.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Darrell Day #1524850 11/07/2023 12:32 AM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 128
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 128
Thanks all. I have the fuel pump off. It is a Carter MO 735 Made in the USA. Is it one that is worth having rebuilt by Then and Now Automotive? If not, what are my options since it looks like buying a new one is a waste of money? I've attached pictures of the current one I have.
Attachments
IMG_0872.jpeg (116.66 KB, 92 downloads)
IMG_0873.jpeg (124.36 KB, 92 downloads)
IMG_0874.jpeg (81.89 KB, 93 downloads)
IMG_0875.jpeg (81.29 KB, 93 downloads)
IMG_0876.jpeg (120.01 KB, 92 downloads)

Last edited by Darrell Day; 11/07/2023 12:33 AM.
Darrell Day #1524852 11/07/2023 12:40 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Originally Posted by Darrell Day
Is it one that is worth having rebuilt by Then and Now Automotive?

I believe they can rebuild any bolt together fuel pump, give them a call to confirm.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Darrell Day #1524860 11/07/2023 1:50 AM
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,815
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,815
Yes, they'll be able to do it. They only take calls on Monday and Thursday so you'll have to wait to speak with them. They are way behind and short handed. It took them 2 months to do a Cadillac pump for me recently. Works like a champ, though.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Darrell Day #1524907 11/07/2023 1:09 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
As I understand it, one of the problem with today's fuel pumps is the actuator arm with its mate to the cam and movement of the pump diaphragm. Repair of your pump seems feasible. I looked up pump number on their web site, ordered it's kit and rebuilt mine. First time I rebuilt one, works great for past 3 years.


1952 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Darrell Day #1524911 11/07/2023 1:49 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
I believe Then and Now also sells the rebuild kits if you don't want to wait and are confident doing it yourself. I agree with everyone about rebuilding and not buying a new aftermarket. There are probably other options besides Then and Now but I am on my 3rd after market fuel pump. When I got my truck, it did not have a fuel pump and this is before I new about the issues of the after market pumps. With less than 2 hours run time the first pump failed. I bought a second pump. Less than 10 hours of run time and failed. I am on my third fuel pump. So far, so good. If this one fails I am going to source an original and have it rebuilt, or go 100% electric.


Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0