The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gdads51, 55shaker, Bruce 1954-4100, Hanks custodian), 101 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,253
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1520052 10/02/2023 5:07 PM
Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 7
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 7
my 62 c10 with the 235 recently started sputtering at higher rpm during acceleration, after inspection I found that the paper filter element in my fuel filter had come loose allowing debris to pass through into the carb so I'm thinking I need to rebuild/clean the carb now but I'm wondering if there are any new carbs that would bolt on that would offer better performance? Someone told me the Carter YF carb would work and gives a little better performance?

Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,498
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,498
You will need the YF3211S for your 235 and it will be an improvement.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,498
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,498
Welcome to the site, by the way...just noticed the post number 1. Also, you won't find any "new" carburetors for the 235...at least not ones we can say are good ones. But you may find some pretty nice (maybe even new old stock) Carters on the big auction site of the internet.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
Originally Posted by rynophiliac
my 62 c10 with the 235 recently started sputtering at higher rpm during acceleration, after inspection I found that the paper filter element in my fuel filter had come loose allowing debris to pass through into the carb so I'm thinking I need to rebuild/clean the carb now but I'm wondering if there are any new carbs that would bolt on that would offer better performance? Someone told me the Carter YF carb would work and gives a little better performance?

Is your current carb a Rochester B?

The Carter YF is better than the B, but it would be good to confirm your current state before walking you down that path.


1951 3100
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 108
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 108
I just bought a YF3211S for my 58 235 engine (yet to be installed) - there are a couple more on the Auction site currently
That is the Auto choke version and was never an OEM installed carburetor, but a Carter retrofit to replace the OEM Rochester

See the sticky at the top of this forum section for issues concerning the Rochester

Last edited by D'Ecosse; 10/03/2023 6:20 AM.

'51 Chevy 3100 Truck - OEM 216 Engine; three speed column shift transmission
6 Bolt disc conversion with dual master/vacuum booster
12V alternator conversion.
235 engine in waiting grin
Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 7
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 7
Yes I believe its a rochester B with the manual choke

Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 7
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2023
Posts: 7
So I have a 62 c10 and I found some info by Carbking showing the Carter YF 3211 is for 60-62 trucks with the 235 and I see one for sale on eBay but it has the automatic choke and my truck has the manual choke. Can I run an auto choke on my truck? not familiar with those but I assume I could just wire up ignition source and it would work

the Carter YF 2100S shows its for 53-59 chevy truck with 235 and the manual choke, would this one work with a 1962?

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 108
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 108
You probably want a 2100S if you want the manual choke.


'51 Chevy 3100 Truck - OEM 216 Engine; three speed column shift transmission
6 Bolt disc conversion with dual master/vacuum booster
12V alternator conversion.
235 engine in waiting grin
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
Originally Posted by rynophiliac
So I have a 62 c10 and I found some info by Carbking showing the Carter YF 3211 is for 60-62 trucks with the 235 and I see one for sale on eBay but it has the automatic choke and my truck has the manual choke. Can I run an auto choke on my truck? not familiar with those but I assume I could just wire up ignition source and it would work

the Carter YF 2100S shows its for 53-59 chevy truck with 235 and the manual choke, would this one work with a 1962?

The 3211S has an auto choke, but it’s hot air, not electric. You would just need to plumb the choke stove and abandon the manual choke system on the truck.

There are kits to convert an auto choke to manual, but I tend to think the results are a little ugly to look at.


1951 3100
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
C
Carburetion specialist
Carburetion specialist
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,766
The top of the air horn on the 3211s differs from that of the 2100s.

Have never personally tried this, but I believe the 2100s would work on the 60~62 235's by using a different air cleaner.

Jon


Good carburetion is fuelish hot air
The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify.
If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!
The Carburetor Shop

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0