I have a 1953 truck bed with 8 boards but I want it to match my 1950 truck . I have already bought 1950 9 bed boards from mar-km the metal strips 8 and angle strips 2 all new 1950 cross sills 4 that match holes for my new 1950 boards. I will reuse the front panel, side rails and tail gate from my 1953 box which all are the same part number as the 1950.The question is , will it work?
The reason I ask is the 1950 boards are 46 7/8 wide and the 1953 are 47 1-2. Will I have 5/8 inches to make up somehow or does the extra metal strip fill? But the strip is 1 1/2 inches wide then I would be 7/8 too wide. I’m I missing something
I seem to recall The wood boards are not interchangeable At least some have to be different I have both styles and I rebuild a 50 and wasn’t able to use any of the 53 parts when I fixed my 50 1 ton In the end I cut new boards from 2x6 or 2x8s and left them full thickness except where the cross sills were located and I trimmed them thinner to fit to the factory surface This way the wood was a full 1.5 thick where ever it wouldn’t matter in the middle of the floor planks -s
I think it'll work out for you. Since there's an extra metal strip, that should make up the difference. The metal strips overlap the wood a bit on each side so they don't add the full 1-1/2" of their width.
BTW, the change from 9 boards to 8 boards happened mid-51.
If you got your parts from Mar-K, they should fit fine.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Thanks Kevin. Yes I used Mar-k parts. The bed board width dimensions you provided are the same as I used. I still will be 7/8 of an inch wider overall but worst case scenario I could shave a bit off one board. Also like you say there is some over lap of metal strips to the boards. I will go with my plan as it is what I want and way easier than returning all those parts.
There was no change in the overall width of the bed from 47-55, so fit should be OK with either 9 or 8 boards.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.