Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,401 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 86 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 86 | My tire store suggested that I try to get some 22.5 wheels with low profile tires for my '54 6100. Anybody have any input on this idea?
Matt
"Brunhilde II" '59 Viking 60 To paraphrase Ben Franklin: "Big Bolts are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Probably be easier to find 19.5 wheels, with the correct lug pattern. Most 22.5 wheels, I've seen have been 6, 8, or 10 lug wheels. The wheels on the project truck from this website, uses 19.5 wheels with the original axles. www.classiccoe.com | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | You can find some 22.5 wheels, but it will take some looking. They were only made for a few years, starting in 56 and only on the 1.5 ton, the 2 ton that year had 6 lug. I have a set for my project, check my picture link to see some, they are near the end of the Detroit album. Grigg | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 162 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 162 | Dont the modern 19.5 wheels have a different center hole size?
Chris
1956 Chevrolet 4400 1959 Chevrolet Viking 60 1968 Chevrolet el Camino 2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | I think the new rim hole size is bigger than on the original wheels. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | The center hole (hub) size difference won't matter, just as long as the lug bolt pattern is correct. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 162 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 162 | This topic has come up before. It was said that all the load bearing of the wheel is on the center "hub centric ring" and the lug nuts just hold the wheel in place. So, if the center hole is bigger than stock, the load bearing will be on the wheel studs, and this in unsafe.
Chris
1956 Chevrolet 4400 1959 Chevrolet Viking 60 1968 Chevrolet el Camino 2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Spanky, I disagree, the hub size does matter for our hub centered wheels. I am not saying it won't work if they don't fit tight, but I would not want to drive much more than around the farm and the occasional trip to town, while checking the torque on the nuts often.
Glamis4x4 it correct. If a wheel uses flat faced lug nuts it must be centered by the hub. If not there is opportunity for the wheel to slide around under the lug nuts, this can cause studs to break and wheels to be off center and out of balance.
If a wheel uses cone shaped, or other than flat, lug nuts the center hole and what it fits is not important. The lug nuts center the wheel and keep it from sliding around.
The hole size in the modern 19.5" wheels with 7.25" bolt circle is 5.25" This is the same size as some of our old trucks, and larger than some, perhaps pre AD?
The ford version of this bolt pattern uses a center hole of 5.46", therefore the ford wheels are not suitable for our trucks, although the bolt pattern is the same. They may use 9/16" studs, and we use 5/8", but not 100% sure on that. I have only seen the ford wheels in 16", not 19.5"
If you do use the 19.5" wheels on your old Chevy, you are probably replacing 7.00X20, or 8.25X20 tires. These original tires are about 36" to 38" tall. The tallest 19.5" tire that fits the rims available is a 8r19.5, and about 31" to 32" tall. This smaller tire will make your truck slower, (and your brakes more effective).
Personally I think that the 8R19.5 tires look really bad on an AD COE, bad on an AD 1.5 or 2 ton, and great on an AD 1 ton.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Guess I should have stated, it all depends on wheather the wheels are hub piloted, or stud piloted. On stud piloted wheels, it indeed wouldn't make a difference.I'm a Heavy Truck, & bus mechanic, so I guess I took it for granted that everyone knew the difference. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,412 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,412 | That's a new term to me "hub piloted or stud piloted". It does make sense though. Always learning here, that's why I visit so often. I haven't yet started researching wheels much. I was hoping to find 22.5 wheels also to fit my Art Decos. Has anybody ever re-machined a new bolt pattern, and center hole?
Just curious
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I have not re-machined any wheel centers, but I have thought about it, and done some measuring and figuring. I even had some wheels made with the 10 bolt pattern like on our AD trucks. I can say that I did not find a 20" or 22.5" wheel that was suitable for re-machining to the 10 on 7.25 bolt pattern. And that there are problems with making adapters from the 10 on 7.5" bolt pattern to another, the two patterns interfere, it won't be easy if you can get it to work. I had some wheels made by Stockton wheel, and I would not deal with them unless I lived down the block from them. They did decent work, but it was very slow, and about impossible to get a straight answer. I did visit them in person, and they are nice people, but I would not deal with them over the phone. You may try http://www.ricksontruck.com/ I bought some tires from them, they seem to be nice people too. When I was there they were in the process of setting up a machine shop to make wheels. They may be able to help. Grigg | | |
| |