Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,124 Posts1,056,334 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 | For reference: 1948 3100 w/ 216 (Carter W-1)
Just did a bunch of major service to get the old girl roadworthy again (all fluids, coil, points, condenser, plug wires, push rods). I adjusted the valves and the engine sounds great. I drove the truck about 10 miles round trip to get a full tank of fuel, and to get some heat in the engine to test everything out. Once I got home it wouldn't restart, but quickly flooded fuel out of the carb. I did end up get it going and it ran fine. Later that evening, I tried to restart it and only got flooding.
Cold starts are a little different. I really have to hold the starter pedal down and it will hit intermittently until it does finally fire up. At which point it runs fine...until I have to do a hot start. Then I get flooding as mentioned above.
Before all of the work I did it used to fire right up, first time no issues.
Some symptoms would say vapor lock, but the flooding aspect is weird. Anybody experienced this? Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 | Not vapor lock.
Your carburetor likely needs to be rebuilt. Float stuck/float set too high/needle valve not seating /accelerator pump leaking, etc. are possible problems.
After the engine is hot and idling, look down the throat and see if fuel is dribbling into the venturi
When it's shut off, look down the throat and see if there is fuel pooled on the intake runner. Check this hot and cold.
What type of fuel pump are you using? Test the fuel pump pressure at the carburetor. It should be 2psi-4psi. If it's greater than that, the pump could be forcing the needle valve open and flooding the carburetor.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 | I am using the stock location fuel pump on the side of the block. It's a newish pump (last 10 years?).
I just ran out and fired it up. I do not see any fuel pooled inside, and there is no dribbling while the engine is running. Looking down the throat of the carb it is pretty dry.
Last edited by 1948FarmTruck; 09/07/2023 1:13 PM. Reason: clarification
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,902 Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT | | Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,902 | 1948FarmTruck, Since you are talking "engine" related issues, I have moved your thread over to the Engine Shop as it is the best place to continue the conversation. Am sure many more will provide info and replies soon. Good luck resolving your problem.  Dan
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100Follow this story in the DITY Gallery"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 | Look down the throat after the the engine has been operated at normal temperature. Check while idling when hot and then check after shutoff for 30 minutes or so.
How long after shut down do you experience the hot start problem? Fuel should never leak from the carburetor as you described.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 | I will try to get it up to temp later today. When I went on a fuel run yesterday it was turned off long enough to get 10 gallons (5-10 minutes), and it started right up. After I got home, and it sat for a few hours, nothing but flooding. When that happens the outside of the carb is wet with fuel. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 228 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2011 Posts: 228 | With my limited knowledge, the leaking carb is the frosting on the cake. Time for a carb rebuild IMO.😃 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 |
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 | I ordered the W1 rebuild kit. I was idling it today trying to time the engine and while it was idling it died and fuel started weeping out of the carb. I'm guessing that's float related? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,809 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,809 | Check the fuel pressure first- - - -depending on where you got the rebuild kit, it's also possible you got a generic needle valve and seat assembly that's actually intended for a Ford carburetor- - - -the orfice behind the needle seat is too big and normal fuel pressure will force the needle off its seat and cause flooding, even with the correct float setting. Jon H. (carb king) can supply the right needle and seat assembly, or a complete, correct, rebuild kit. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,902 Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT | | Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 5,902 | Could be float or sticking needle valve??? Some debris keeping it from fully closing. You may also want to check your fuel pump output pressure to make sure within normal psi tolerances. Too much will definitely cause over-pressure and flooding. I know you didn't mention any work on the pump as part of your recent major service stuff, but something to look at as well just to eliminate the possibility. Dan EDIT - Jerry beat me to the punch on the fuel pressure info. 
Last edited by Gdads51; 09/08/2023 5:01 PM.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100Follow this story in the DITY Gallery"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 | I should add that I have NOT done the rebuild yet. I'm still waiting on the kit, but figured I would knock out the timing while its "running". I will definitely check fuel pressure though. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2021 Posts: 6,826 | I ordered the W1 rebuild kit. I was idling it today trying to time the engine and while it was idling it died and fuel started weeping out of the carb. I'm guessing that's float related? I'd be more inclined to blame the needle valve not seating properly allowing fuel to overtop the fuel bowl. Check the fuel pressure, though. should be between 2-4 psi. My rebuilt mechanical pump operates at 2.5 psi.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2019 Posts: 161 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2019 Posts: 161 | I had a similar problem. How old are the fuel lines? Especially from the pump to the carburetor. You could be picking up rust that is keeping the needle valve from seating properly.
I invest my money in precious metals, mostly rust!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2023 Posts: 18 | Fuel lines are original, but I did flush the tank, blow out the lines, and install a new fuel filter right before the carb. That isn't to say it wasn't already crudded up though. Lord knows the stuff that came out that tank looked like crunchy motor oil. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | It seems to me that if I can remember correctly, you can remove the needle & seat without disassembling the carb. on that model. Disconnect the inlet line at the carb. & then remove the fitting. The needle is in the fitting. You can clean it out & try again. Its been a long time since I worked on one. I might be wrong. I was wrong once before in the last 75 years.
George They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
| |