The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (WICruiser), 209 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,184
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#151407 03/05/2007 2:46 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
According to the original specs I got from GM, my 46 Two Ton came with a Carter W1-574 Carb. Over the years someone evidently changed over to a Rochester. Wanting to go back to original equipment I find that none of the suppliers will accept my Rochester core for a rebuilt Carter. Am I right about this or does it make any difference?

#151408 03/05/2007 11:21 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
Your right about the Carter W 1. You might try ebay to pick up a core they sometimes sell for very little. The correct W 1 for your truck will out preform the old Rochester.

#151409 03/06/2007 12:48 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
ttodd, that Doodlebug is awesome. You don't have a cheat sheet for the transmissions taped to the dashboard, do you? ;}


195? Chevy 3800 dump truck
1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis
1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel
#151410 03/09/2007 12:48 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
George, give these folks a call:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com

-W

#151411 03/09/2007 10:40 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
Hey stark thanks for compliments on old Sam. I don't have a cheat sheet but with help from a rider for the two speed and the second trans I've been able to get up to about 30 of the gears be for missing a split. Old Sam has been very useful for junk moving and has pulled or winched about any thing I've hooked on to. Is the big junkyard at Cabool still open.

#151412 03/24/2007 11:37 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 9
I appreciate the responses. But, it seems I have a mystery on my hands. I ordered the original specs. from GM for my 1946 Two Ton (assembled at the Janesville WI plant in July of 1946 per the chassis number) and it states very clearly that the engine is a 235 ci and that the carb is a W1-574. Every carb. shop/expert that I talk to tells me that the W1 574 was for the 216 cu. in. engine and won't fit the 236 manifold which calls for mounting holes 2 15/16 inches (center to center) holes rather than 2 3/4 for the 216 intake manifold. This is driving me crazy. I want to go back to original equipment but can't seem to find anybody, expert or amateur, that can give me an answer to this problem. Is there anybody out there that can enlighten me?

#151413 03/25/2007 12:59 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
George - keep in mind that in 46 the standard engine was the 216 - if the 235 you have in now is the original, GM might have used a manifold that would take the most common carb they had on hand ... the "experts" are talking about the 54+ full pressure 235, which may have a different manifold than yours - what do your manifold mount studs measure? anybody know what the actual spacing measurement is on the W1? maybe you should check w/ Carbking , he'll sort ya out [carbqueen AT sbcglobal.net]

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#151414 03/26/2007 12:02 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 184
The low pressure 235 and 216 are nearly identical and all the parts should interchange. A lot of parts people not familiar with older Chevy will think of the high pressure and later 235. I have a Carter YF on my 48 235 which came off a 216 that I had to replace in my 39. I have the smaller bolt spacing on the intake manifold.

The Carter will certainly outperform the Rochester.


If it ain't broke, take it apart and figure out why!
39 Chevy in the Gallery
Photobucket Album

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0