The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (3B, Charles in CA, LAJones48, Joe H, Ridgeback, Jon G), 132 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,455
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
I saw this simple tool on a YouTube video. So I made one tonight.
It holds the horizontal legs in the saddle while you drive the vertical cups out of the shaft. You can use a vise but my vise is at table height so it’s not so easy to hold the rest of the DS horizontal when using a vise. This small tool works well on the workbench or at the shop press.
Attachments
IMG_3268.jpeg (176.65 KB, 146 downloads)
IMG_3267.jpeg (173.66 KB, 144 downloads)

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,418
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,418
Sweet, looks like it would come in real handy. thumbs_up

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
This setup, or one similar, works on U joints as well as ball joints, and eliminates all the hammering. It will pay for itself the first time you don't ruin a U joint or a driveshaft!

www.ebay.com/itm/254748303768?

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 340
Along time ago when I was still wrenching I bought a "Tiger Tools" u-joint press worked really well. Could use it on the bench or on the vehicle. I think the made 2 or 3 different size's for the bigger trucks.


1936 GMC T-14 restro-mod
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Good work, Lugnutsz.

It's satisfying to make your own tools. I find it annoying when you buy a tool and only use it once - not an issue if you make your own.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Correct me if I’m wrong, please. It is my understanding that the U-joint end caps for the DS only push on the DS from the outside. Something like a taper fit at the cap. This particular U-joint has C-clips inside to keep the U-joint centered.
I’m explaining all this because I was of the belief that pushing on the OPPOSITE end cap (with C-clips removed) would not move the U-joint. Instead it would possibly damage the end cap.
Of course I might be all wrong about this.
I have used a ball joint press many times in the past but have not seen one designed to press on the horizontal posts of a U-joint.
The tool I made can be used with a ball joint press.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 08/19/2023 12:37 PM.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
I've changed a few hundred U joints with various types of presses, and never damaged a yoke. Of course, real life experience is always trumped by someone's internet research! I'd like to hear someone explain how those yokes with tapered holes are manufactured a few million at a time.

The driveshafts that trip my trigger are the ones that are assembled on a fixture that holds the U joint centered, and melted plastic is injected through a hole in the yoke to fill a groove in the bearing cap. The replacement joints use the internal snap rings, but the inner faces of the yoke ears aren't always machined accurately. This results in excessive runout of the driveshaft and an annoying vibration.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
The driveshafts that trip my trigger are the ones that are assembled on a fixture that holds the U joint centered, and melted plastic is injected through a hole in the yoke to fill a groove in the bearing cap. The replacement joints use the internal snap rings, but the inner faces of the yoke ears aren't always machined accurately. This results in excessive runout of the driveshaft and an annoying vibration.
Jerry

The DS I just installed in my 65 was the plastic injected style. I heated the yoke ears until the plastic came out. Then I cleaned it up and installed a conversion u-joint With C-clips so it could mate with the 12 bolt rear in my 65.
Did the same thing with my 63. Both drive great. The front of the DS has a balancer from the factory.
Attachments
IMG_0322.jpeg (191.33 KB, 53 downloads)
IMG_1881.jpeg (28.72 KB, 54 downloads)


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0