I would like to put seat belts in my 47 3600. Not just lap belts. I looked at old posts about this topic and would like some input on what was used and how the install worked out for them. The rear upper door post is several layers thick of metal and should be strong enough to support the shoulder belt attachment. It is a five-window cab, so I have limited area to fit that bracket. Being it is a 47, I have the original under the frame gas tank, so my lower interior cab corners are lined with the interior sheet metal, not open like a truck that has the inside gas tank. I'm thinking I should be able to fit it in the corner and just behind the seat riser panel that is attached to the door post. What brands are best? I don't want used from the salvage yard. I know that I don't have to install them in my state, but I've been in an accident with a drunk driver, and had I not had my seat belt on, it could have been worse. It totaled my 95 3/4-ton 4x4 power stroke extended cab. It was head on with a FxxD ranger after he bounced off another car just ahead of me in the left lane, then straight on to me in the right lane. I'm glad I was buckled up.
Hey lumber. This probably won’t fit your needs but I put 02 Tahoe seats in my 41. They have 3-point belts attached to the seat. But my 41 is not original and it has an external fuel tank. I’ve read where several bolters have welded brackets on so I’m sure you will get some advice. Good luck!
~ Victor 1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery 1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD 1957 3100 - moved on 1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on 1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on 1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter
As an expert in this field (T-boned, rolled, bent the top of the steering wheel down almost to the dash, and totaled my '57 while wearing a 3 point belt - just had a small scrape on my left elbow), I'd advise 3 point belts. I got mine from these guys, and after testing them in my '57 (picture below) put a set from them in my '52 replacement for the '57. Good service and the product passed my testing.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Wow, Bill! I think the seat belt may have saved your life.
The only real test I have had is the driver door flying open while going around a curve. Nasty surprise; nice to have the security of a seat belt. (hopefully, door latch is better adjusted now)
I believe my belts came from the same supplier as Bill used. Advice from all the previous threads on this subject was helpful.
How did your insurance company treat you after that wreck? Were you able to salvage anything from the truck?
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
A number of bolt’rs including me have had good luck with Julianos for Seat Belts, they have good selection of hardware, buckles, and colors and other options, after figuring all the pieces for a complete install it was the best value, arrived quickly too. The 5 window will be much different but Photo are the (before welding) 16 ga pieces I formed and slid behind the inner curved panel on the 46 from the door side, it went behind and fastened to the inner supports.. btw: this was done on a finished truck… Chuck
Last edited by Hanks custodian; 08/09/202311:02 PM.
How did your insurance company treat you after that wreck? Were you able to salvage anything from the truck?
It was an agreed value policy, so it was my fault that I hadn't updated the value in 2 years. They wanted way too much for me to keep the truck. The only thing I kept was the custom "GMC" hood grille I made in hope of using it on a replacement truck. But that replacement ended up being a '52, so I've been waiting for someone who has a 55.2-57 GMC that would appreciate the grille.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Just a note that this thread really belongs in the Interiors Forum as the best place for the discussion to continue.
Have moved it there accordingly. Great info already provided and I am sure others will add there knowledge/experience concerning, especially as it may be more specific to AD era trucks/cabs.
Dan
Last edited by Gdads51; 08/10/202312:52 PM. Reason: spelling
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
I installed three point belts in my 5 window ‘52. I bought mine from SeatBeltsPlusas they were “Made in America” and reasonable priced. Here is a link to my installation. [LINK]
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum