The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Flint48, Red75bronco, 78buckshot, Leo, wvstovebolt, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 88 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,697
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1512248 08/07/2023 5:42 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
I decided to take Jerry's advice and make my own short shaft water pump for my 1962 235 engine in a 1953 pickup. I couldn't find a pulley that suited me, so I pulled one off of an old 216 water pump. That's what was on my old pump. The shaft on my new pump and the old 216 pump both appeared to be the same diameter, 5/8 if I remember correctly. My problem is: the old pulley is a close slip fit on the shaft of the new water pump. So, I need to tighten it up somehow. I'm hoping somebody can recommend a fairly simple method of doing this, hopefully without using a lot of heat on the shaft of the new pump. Any recommendations?


Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
1947 Indian Chief
1943 Indian 741
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,113
About the only way to tighten up a shaft/bore fit is to get the shaft knurled.
You might be able to do a shade tree version of knurling by using a sharp punch on the shaft to upset some of the metal. The downside of that is you'd need to keep the amount of metal upset the same all around to keep the shaft and the bore concentric.
Or you could use some stud and bearing mount. Link
Depending on how loose your slip fit is, the latter may work just fine.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
Patrick's in Arizona used to sell a short-shaft water pump kit with a matching pulley. I don't know what pulley he used and we can't ask him now.

I needed a 2-shiv pulley and used a small-block V8 pulley for the A/C option from Summit Racing. That requires pressing the pulley flange further on to the pump shaft by a little over an inch. With this setup you gain enough room to run a high pitch fan. If you run a big fan, like 16" or so you'll have to drop the radiator so the lower hose will clear the fan.

Running the 216 pulley will spin the fan fast enough to throw a blade off eventually. That can have ugly consequences as happened to my neighbor. Made a neat slit in the hood where it punched through.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
That pulley will be way too small unless you also install a 216 or early 235 crankshaft pulley. Try using a pulley from a Ford V8- - - -289, 302, etc. It's somewhat larger diameter than the 216 pulley, and the bolt holes can be drilled to fit the pattern of the flange of the late model pump where the original pulley was mounted. PM me, and I can share some more specific instructions about how to adapt the pulley by either email or phone.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,496
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,496
Jerry, why not share here so we all can benefit from your vast expertise!


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 61
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 61
I put a 62’ 235 in my 51’ some years ago. I remember using a water pump from either a 54’ or 55’ 235, as they were the 216 style, and had the narrow pulley I needed to match up with the alternator. I relocated the water pump higher on the block with the adapter kit, I was then able to use I believe a 17”? fan from either Summit or Jegs. I leaned the radiator about a 1/4 to 1/2”? forward in it’s frame, which then I trimmed the very top of the radiator support back that much to slip the whole thing in. To the untrained eye, you can’t tell. I also added a period correct fan shroud from a bigger truck to help.
That was several years ago, a couple thousand miles ago, and even on the hottest days, car shows, drive ins, traffic, or cruising at 60 mph,
she never gets hot, water never captivates.
Not saying this is the way to go, but worked for me.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
Originally Posted by Phak1
Jerry, why not share here so we all can benefit from your vast expertise!

I've done so- - - -many times- - - -on many subjects- - - -only to be ignored and/or ridiculed. It's simpler to share things one on one with the people who show enough interest to contact me personally. There's a Bible quote about "pearls" that the PC Patrol wouldn't appreciate me using.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
If one has a lathe handy it's easy enough to spin up an aluminum pully with an interference fit and cut off the front of the shaft as I did for experimentation. Results were mostly acceptable except when sitting in traffic on a hot day as the temperature would creep up.
The 216 pump with adapter plate centered the fan to the rad and worked much better. IMO a short shaft pump is a poor solution.
Attachments
MVC-033S.JPG (38.85 KB, 108 downloads)
small pulley.JPG (47.86 KB, 108 downloads)
front.JPG (39.07 KB, 108 downloads)


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
Jerry, Don't let the nattering nabobs of negativity nullify ... sorry ran out of N words... Spiro was better at that than I.

Anyway, the people who follow your advice are many. And wise they are, too. The ones who ridicule or denigrate or dismiss your advice aren't worth worrying about. Keep posting for your fans!!!

For all, I've been trying over the years to capture Jerry's experience and wisdom in as many Tech Tips as I can. ... there are many to do ....

JM


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,496
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,496
Originally Posted by John Milliman
Jerry, Don't let the nattering nabobs of negativity nullify ... sorry ran out of N words... Spiro was better at that than I.

Anyway, the people who follow your advice are many. And wise they are, too. The ones who ridicule or denigrate or dismiss your advice aren't worth worrying about. Keep posting for your fans!!!

For all, I've been trying over the years to capture Jerry's experience and wisdom in as many Tech Tips as I can. ... there are many to do ....

JM
Well said!
thumbs_up


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0