The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (KEVINSKI), 124 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,706
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1510484 07/25/2023 1:52 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,433
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,433
Hello all, I'm new to Big Bolt as I recently purchased a '58 4400 from VEW. I plan on using the truck as is and making some changes as time go on. The first real question is that of gearing, the research that IU have done so far shows the truck has a 6.19 rear end. Would it be better to look for a two speed rear or say an OD trans? I have another truck with a NV4500, that transmission seems like a good choice if I was going that direction.

Any advice will be very welcome. Thanks.
Attachments
20230723_124911~2.jpg (593.6 KB, 109 downloads)
58 4400

Last edited by TUTS 59; 07/25/2023 1:56 PM.

~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
TUTS 59 #1510556 07/25/2023 10:47 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
Good looking truck Craig. Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

TUTS 59 #1510567 07/25/2023 11:43 PM
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
depending on how you are going to use it, you may be better off getting an over/under brownie box to put in it. Either way, you want a park brake on the driveshaft, after the last gearbox. (right now, it is on the trans, you would need one on your NV4500, or on the brownie box)


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
TUTS 59 #1510576 07/26/2023 12:55 AM
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 52
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 52
Good looking old truck! I will be following I'm nearing the end of my build. (Lol first stage) My 7500 is extremely low geared also. In the future I may do some upgrades myself.


1967 GMC 7500
See more in the Big Bolts Bay
Keep 'em shiny side up!
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,433
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,433
I know there are no ring and pinion options for changing the rear gear ratio. I have seen where others have used rear axels from late model donor trucks, that .ay be an option but not in the near future. A transmission swap could be done easily enough but I will need to research the parking brake. Thanks for the welcome, I have always wanted a "Big Bolt".


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
Until you're ready to replace the entire driveline you should stick with what you have. The trans, rear and tires that are on the truck were engineered to allow the 235 to work at it's best power range. As it sits now it should be a 55 mph truck (or something close to that) and it should be able to move the max GVW from a dead stop.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy TUTS 59, welcome to the world of Big Bolts! Although I have no personal experience with the NV4500, I have heard that they make a good overdrive transmission for our larger trucks. The other way to achieve more speed with the same R.P.M. would be to put on larger diameter tires. I hope you enjoy your new Big Bolt.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0