The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, D B Cooper, Otto Skorzeny, Ponchogl), 148 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,144
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1494624 03/31/2023 11:27 AM
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 52
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 52
Hey folks I'm thinking about keeping and using my Oil Bath air cleaner on my 67 401M. I was wondering what does everyone still using them clean them out with? To really clean out the mesh.
On the flip side of that has anyone gutted the oil bath and found a modern round air filter that will take the place of the original innards? Or could that even work?
Thanks. Hope I put this question in the correct spot. Still learning


1967 GMC 7500
See more in the Big Bolts Bay
Keep 'em shiny side up!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
Clean out your old mesh with kerosene or gasoline. Let it dry in the sun. Re-oil it and re-install it. The procedure is detailed in the factory shop manual.

Go to the home page of this site and look for Tech Tips. Someone has done what you describe - replacing the mesh with an off the shelf paper filter.

Before I went to that extreme, I'd try to find one of the other types of filters offered on the stovebolt that had a removable mesh filter that can easily be replaced with a paper one like this:
Attachments
IMG_20211031_082455.jpg (83.4 KB, 253 downloads)
IMG_20211031_082514.jpg (94.57 KB, 251 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
Otto,

Is this the Tech Tip you're talking about:

Oil Bath Air Cleaner Upgrade

The ole oil bath air cleaner... fine technology, back in the day. And still works fine.... as long as you don't mind the gooey mess and junk that collects in it over time. Ah yes, there's a reason time and technology left the oil bath behind ... Nostalgia ain't what it used to be so if you want to leave the mess behind but keep the look, here's a 21st Century way to accomplish an ...


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,802
Yes, that's it.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,872
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,872
Bama,

Just a note that I will move/have moved this conversation to the Engine Shop as the on-topic place for further conversation as it is directly "Engine" related.

I think we all fall into the category "Still Learning" in some fashion or another. Now worries! thumbs_up

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
Be sure the paper filter element you choose has enough swept area to handle the airflow without restricting it. Running a too small filter element will be the equivalent of keeping the choke partially applied all the time.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
My truck has a lot of the original parts, I'm trying to keep it that way. Still using the oil bath on the 283 V8, I have no issues with it, wash it with gasoline and replace the oil. They are a little messy when you have to work on it but does a great job.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Bamafan0001 I just lay mine out on cardboard and let oil run off of it while I clean up the sump and re-fill it. With detergent oil it will drain off pretty clean,or dip it in solvent 60 years ago we used gasoline,kerosene,solvent,diesel fuel . It wont hurt if some dirt goes in the sump that is what it's for.

Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 52
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2023
Posts: 52
Thanks for all the tips really appreciated! I want to keep it like it is I mean they are unique and don't see them very often at all. Thank you Gdads51 for pointing me in the right direction.


1967 GMC 7500
See more in the Big Bolts Bay
Keep 'em shiny side up!
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Be sure the paper filter element you choose has enough swept area to handle the airflow without restricting it. Running a too small filter element will be the equivalent of keeping the choke partially applied all the time.
Jerry

I started out using a K&N filter which was 1.75" tall. I then experimented with one which was2.5" tall. What a world of difference. RPM at idle dropped big time. So if you go paper, don't go too small.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,454
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,454
I have a 10 year old "Fram Product Reference Catalog" that I downloaded. I'm sure you could find a more recent version. It includes a paper air filter "by size" section. Or if you want my old .PDF drop me a personal message with your e-mail address.

Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 03/31/2023 9:36 PM.

'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by Peggy M
...

Is this the Tech Tip you're talking about:

Oil Bath Air Cleaner Upgrade

Thanks for this link Peggy! I was thinking about using my old oil bath filter and wanted to modify it. Looks like I found a new little project.
Attachments
IMG_1814a.jpg (122.16 KB, 157 downloads)

Last edited by UtahYork; 03/20/2026 8:38 PM. Reason: Adding picture.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1
T
Moderated
Moderated
T Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 1
That (pictured) is exactly what I’m looking for. Please let me know where I can get that setup. My email is

Please send any help that way at least then I’ll be able to find it! Thanks!

Last edited by Gdads51; 03/23/2026 2:02 PM.
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
@Terry1953, If you're looking for an oil bath air filter, post an ad in Truck Parts Wanted here. BTW, posting your e-mail in the open here will probably get you a bunch of spam. Once you have enough posts, you can communicate via Private Messages with other members. Good luck in your search.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
Originally Posted by Terry1953
That (pictured) is exactly what I’m looking for. Please let me know where I can get that setup. My email is [email protected]. Please send any help that way at least then I’ll be able to find it! Thanks!

I see one on eBay. Actually a few. Just search for: Oil Bath Air Cleaner
LINK

Last edited by UtahYork; 03/23/2026 4:49 AM.

~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 99
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 99
Here is the conversion I did and posted a few months ago,

I don’t have my truck registered as a collector, but I do show it in the stock class when available.I list that it’s a 261 with 216 bolt on components. I am working on the paper filter conversion. My original oil bath filter is in great condition. So I acquired another one to modify. I cut top (now lid), and uncrimped the bottom baffle from its tube. Added a 1” spacer and filled the slots. I tried to maintain an appropriate 3/4” gap. I made part of the oil bath tube into a sleeve to fit over the filter to act as a temporary “dummy” part to throw off onlookers (maybe?). I still need to patch my tack weld holes and paint the dummy sleeve. The Wix 46078 fits great in the lid. This is my version, similar can be found on you- tube also.
Attachments
IMG_4718.jpeg (211.29 KB, 75 downloads)
IMG_4720.jpeg (348.76 KB, 75 downloads)
IMG_4719.jpeg (253.66 KB, 76 downloads)
IMG_4721.jpeg (192.44 KB, 76 downloads)

Last edited by Gdads51; 03/26/2026 1:44 PM. Reason: Added pics
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,391
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,391
Rick, that is great looking modification, most folks wont be able to tell that it was touched. I had thought of doing something similar with my oil bath filter, yours is much cleaner than what I was planning. Could you pass on the paper element part number. Yep, I'm going to "Barrow" your idea.. grin


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,872
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,872
Originally Posted by TUTS 59
Rick, that is great looking modification, most folks wont be able to tell that it was touched. I had thought of doing something similar with my oil bath filter, yours is much cleaner than what I was planning. Could you pass on the paper element part number. Yep, I'm going to "Barrow" your idea.. grin

Craig - Here's Rick's previous conversion post he mentioned above.

He indicated in there that he used a WIX 46078 as his filter. There are also added pictures in that post that I think he meant to add here, but didn't get attached from some reason. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,649
I like that conversion, Rick!


~ John in Utah
1946 1/2Ton w/4-speed manual transmission w/1960 235 engine
Here We Go
Follow in his DITY Bay

- If you think about it, it has been one year ago today!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0