The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (68ironhead, MickeyP, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,624
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
Wanting to install a hood ornament on my ‘49 Chevy one ton. Don’t have a template for proper placement. Can someone please help me with the distance from the top of the Chevy badge to the front tip of the ornament? Thanks in advance! David


1949 Chev 3800
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
Look under the hood. There are some holes in the center of the hood for a couple of the ornament pegs already there. Drill those holes from the bottom and set the ornament on the hood to mark where the other holes go.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
Thanks much for this information!


1949 Chev 3800
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
I didn’t find any holes under the hood for an ornament. Can anyone help by giving me a measurement from top of Chevy emblem on front of hood back to front tip of the ornament?


1949 Chev 3800
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
Originally Posted by Rubidu8
I didn’t find any holes under the hood for an ornament. Can anyone help by giving me a measurement from top of Chevy emblem on front of hood back to front tip of the ornament?
I may be in error that ALL hoods have the "holes" on the underside in the middle. I do know that two of mine did. The first one that I put an ornament on had them, but I was not aware of it. I guessed where I thought the ornament should go and drilled a hole from the top. I opened the hood and saw where I missed the mark by a half an inch.
To describe the "holes", they are comprised of bends in the flanges of the two hood halves which are there for locating the holes to be drilled through the hood center strip.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,110
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,110
Check the pictures in this post by NJC of his hood. It does have a "hole" (basically a wide spot between the flanges on the hood halves) at about the middle of the hood. My hood has the same hole about midway up the joint. Nothing closer to the front where a hood ornament would typically go.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
Yes, mine does have a separation in the flange right in the middle, but that’s it.


1949 Chev 3800
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,110
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,110
Wondering what the purpose of that hole might have been. Maybe hanging the hood assembly for painting, installation at the factory? I wonder if the hood would be balanced hanging from that hole. I may have to investigate that when it's time for paint, although it sits on a table fairly well for that.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
Can anyone give me a measurement from top of Chevy badge on front of hood up to the front tip of their hood ornament? That is all I need. I can figure out the rest. Thanks in advance.


1949 Chev 3800

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0