I have a 39 216 has a cracked block with 3 speed transmission. I have a 1958 235 it doesn't have the flywheel or starter. Can I use the flywheel from the 216 and put it on the 235? Also I need a distributor for the 235. What part numbers do I need to look for? Thank you for your help.
If the bolt pattern and dowel pin spacing on your 39 flywheel are the same as the 235 flange, the flywheel will bolt on, but you'll also need to use a 6 volt starter. The flywheel for the 39 engine will have 139 teeth. A 1958 flywheel has 168 teeth and must be used with a 12V starter. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
I was wondering about that- - - -none of the stuff in my junk heap is older than 46 or so. Thanks! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
According to a search for a "distributor" part number for your 1958 235 using the GMpartswiki search web link the original part number you will need to look for is GM# 1112403.
See the screenshot taken from a Chevy Master Parts Catalog attached below for what vehicles that distributor was used on.
If you are looking for a source for your parts, you can search the web, or you might consider posting an ad of your own for what you are looking for in Truck Parts Wanted forum .
Dan
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
I searched Napa they show Fly wheel 153 teeth fly wheel. So is 168 teeth correct for 58 chevy 235? I had the starter from a 216 rebuilt to 12v . Will I have to change the gear on the start as well? If so what do I need to look for?. I appalagize I don't know the correct name for the gear on the starter. Thanks for your help.
You will have to find an actual 12 volt starter. Your present conversion will not work.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
I assume this is going in a 1939? Are you planning on converting to a 12 volt system? If so using your "6 to 12 volt converted starter" you need a 1942-54 (or 1955 first series)flywheel. That will have 139 teeth. If you decide to use a late 1955-62 flywheel, which will have 168 teeth, you will also need a a starter from a late 1955-59, they will have the foot starter setup.
As far as distributors go, your 1958 235 will have a cast cam, so a distributor with a cast gear is needed. Here is a list of distributors that show what part number will work. Keep in mind that you need one with a cast gear. The 1112403 is the most common.
So the starter for the 216 I had rebuilt to and converted to 12v. How can I tell if the rebuilt converted 12v starter has the correct pinion on it? Would the pinion have to be changed?I know I need a 168 flywheel. IThank very much for your help.
No, it wouldn't have been changed. It isn't possible to do so since the two gears have different diameter shafts. Flywheels and starters have to be matched to each other.
You're going to have to determine what flywheel you have and whether or not it is suitable for the gear on the starter.
This thread has become a little convoluted.
Regardless of what's been done to what, as long as you're using the flywheel and starter that came off the same engine (from the factory) you'll be fine. Neither one cares what the voltage is.
Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 03/01/202312:58 PM.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)