The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (PAUL Berardi, Jon G, JW51), 98 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,373
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#148808 10/10/2006 9:44 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Y
Junior Member
Junior Member
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
HELPPPPPPP!!! What other 133" axle will fit under my '72 C-30 'Bolt? Can't find 13 x 2-1/2 brake drums and the old ones are worn thin as tin foil. The shoes are adjusted out as far as they'll go, and not even making contact with the drums. The wife is after me that we need hay for the livestock. Any help greatly appreciated!

John E. in SE Ohio


A-K-A "Lube"
#148809 10/11/2006 1:01 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy YzOldOwl, can you tell us if the truck has single or dual rear wheels?

#148810 10/11/2006 12:37 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 237
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 237
Yz-

I'll assume you have the Eaton style axle (big round cover on back), banjo style axle.

Look for a GM corporate 14 bolt full float axle at the local junk yard. They are common and you should be able to get the whole axle for around $100 or so. This is one tough axle... so it won't break, but you don't get a lot of ground clearance with it.

Alternatively if your in love with your axle and want to keep it, why not switch to disc brakes? You might be able to get some from Blackbirds Custom Trucks ( http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/ ). This will be more costly and you'll likely have to change your master cylinder as well.

If you get rid of your old axle, put it on the "For Sale" section of this site... someone might buy it from you and help offset the cost of the new axle.

#148811 10/11/2006 7:38 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Y
Junior Member
Junior Member
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Much thanks I gave the wrong measurement for that axle! What I've been able to find out, they only made that axle for that truck _in_ 1972 and that makes it dang near impossible to find a replacement. Wife was up 'til midnite last nite hunting, and came up goose-egg. But the wife took me to a yard I didn't even know exist and we bought a -- I think it's a '78 -- axle. With minor mods it will fit under the C-30, and parts ets for it are find-able.


A-K-A "Lube"
#148812 10/12/2006 2:29 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Y
Junior Member
Junior Member
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Well, the new axle is from a '87 C-30. I don't anticipate much a problem swapping them out, except I might break the nuts off the shackles or even the shackles themselfs and have to get new ones. Also need new longer studs so I can put the duals back on. Not a problem as far as I can see, I used to work for the truck repair and supply outfit where I know I can get 'em. I'll keep y-all posted on the progress. Wife is a lot happyer camper now!

John E. in SE Ohio


A-K-A "Lube"
#148813 10/12/2006 8:24 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
Why do you have to mess with the shackles?

#148814 10/18/2006 4:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Y
Junior Member
Junior Member
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Found a broken spot in the driver's side springs so yeah, I had to remove that shackle and replace the spring too. frown Stripped the threads and broke one of the U-bolts trying to get the dratted things off but was able to get a pair made special, there's a shop in Columbus that does that sort of thing. So now I'm just waiting on the rain to quit so I can finish up. Glad glad glad! that Chevy didn't have any "better ideas" like -- well, you know! :rolleyes:

John E. in southeast Ohio


A-K-A "Lube"
#148815 10/18/2006 4:11 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
YzOldOwl,

It sounds like your wife should get the "Bolter of the Year" award for all her help! Maybe dinner out and a bouquet of flowers. smile


Stuart

#148816 10/21/2006 12:15 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Y
Junior Member
Junior Member
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 12
Thanx Stu; I get to take her to an auction tomorrow! smile That's her speed, she don't do fancy dinner and flowers! Not furs and furbeloos either. Real down-to-earth woman. She was raised by her paternal grampa and grew up handing him tools and learning things that girls don't genrlly learn.

John E. in southeast Ohio


A-K-A "Lube"
#148817 10/28/2006 4:10 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
5
Apprentice
Apprentice
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
Dang John, better put a vise grip on that woman, don't let her get away!


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0