The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Hotrod Lincoln, MickeyP, Peggy M, 55shaker, klhansen, Craig /49 Panel, Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny), 69 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,386
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 29
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 29
Hello,

I am looking to replace my front and rear leaf springs in my 54 3100 but are not sure if the current ones are stock height. The drop was done before I got it. It has a front drop axel installed and4” or 5” lowering blocks in the rear. Any suggestion on how to determine? I want to keep it how it sits currently but with new leafs and mounting hardware.
Attachments
6C4C5B0E-B222-4EF3-A68B-BD4CD1A2B8FF.jpeg (504.68 KB, 211 downloads)

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Here's a couple pics of new stock front springs on my '52, also shows how much the 216 settles them down after installation. Wouldn't think '54 would look much different. I could be wrong.
Attachments
IMG_7591.JPEG (210.49 KB, 193 downloads)
IMG_7607.JPEG (177.93 KB, 194 downloads)

Last edited by Skooter; 02/05/2023 12:26 AM.

Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
Skooter's pics look just like the new springs I got for my 54 3100 from St. Louis Spring several years ago.
Samantha


1954 Chevy 3100
Picked from the Field
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 197
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 197
Spec for 1954 ½ ton springs

The last four numbers of the part number should be stamp on the bottom leaf. Front 2793 Rear 3317
Attachments
1947-1955 Chevy 1_2 Ton.jpg (49.12 KB, 165 downloads)

Last edited by jimgmc; 02/05/2023 5:07 AM.
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Jimmy, do you have a source for those specs? I have been looking for that info for my 58 for a while. Maybe your source has some newer info too?


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
Are you having issues with the springs that you have now?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Edit: I think you were asking the OP if he had spring issues.

Last edited by Fibonachu; 02/05/2023 6:45 PM.

From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 29
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 29
@jimgmc. Thank you for the info. I will look for the numbers



@52Carl I am not having any spring issues now. Was just trying to update item as I go. The shackles need replaced for sure so I thought I would replace the spring before I had an issue with one of them as well.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Last edited by ScottM54; 02/05/2023 6:59 PM.
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 197
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 197
Originally Posted by Fibonachu
Jimmy, do you have a source for those specs? I have been looking for that info for my 58 for a while. Maybe your source has some newer info too?

55-56 Second Design
57-59

Front

Rear

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
Originally Posted by ScottM54
@jimgmc. Thank you for the info. I will look for the numbers



@52Carl I am not having any spring issues now. Was just trying to update item as I go. The shackles need replaced for sure so I thought I would replace the spring before I had an issue with one of them as well.

Thank you everyone for the replies.
If this were my truck, I would remove the springs from the truck and remove the bushings from the springs and inspect the spring eyes to make sure that the bushings did not wear all the way through and damaged the spring eyes.
If there in no wear there and the springs are not heavily pitted from rust, I would use what you have.
New springs are generally stiff. They are designed to do the work which these trucks were designed to do. Haul heavy loads. You may not like the ride which new springs may provide. I doubt you are planning on hauling much in your truck, judging from its stance in your pics.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0