The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, 2 invisible), 60 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,636
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
I have a 55 GMC 102 truck that has front drums that I "think" are oversized. They are measuring 11.170" inside diameter and I cannot find a maximum size anywhere on the internet. The only stamping on the drum is located on the face and it says "W 20" Does this mean they can be bored .200" over the nominal 11.00"? Other than that there are no markings anywhere.
Cannot find any information......


55 GMC 3100 2nd Series
71 GMC 1500 Super Custom
1956 Thriftmaster
1954 Blue Flame
1962 Thriftmaster
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,328
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,328
Should be stamped on the edge like this
Attachments
AF96D942-0436-4383-A932-58AA60C24424.png (219.39 KB, 43 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 18
When I posted earlier the passenger side was off and had no markings, once I got the drivers side off it was different and had the markings that you posted. Sure enough I measured it, and it was on the high (11.090). The passenger side is 11.170" so I am going to replace both sides. I can see the "homemade" looking rivets on the driver's side so I know it was replaced at one time or another. Maybe the passenger side (that has the minimal markings) is still original?!
Thank you so much for posting the photo! I appreciate it!


55 GMC 3100 2nd Series
71 GMC 1500 Super Custom
1956 Thriftmaster
1954 Blue Flame
1962 Thriftmaster
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,971
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,971
DB,

FWIW, check out this link to a MA law regarding maximum oversizing of vehicle brake drums.

MA Law on Brake drum turning limits

Provides very detailed rules to follow. Since your truck is before the 1971 manufacture date cut off, it is essential that you find the maximum size limit markings on the existing drum to make a final determination. Without that marking, I doubt any shop will even consider cutting your existing drums.

These drums are reproduced and available through most of our normal vendor sources.

Thinking easiest option is choose safety first IMHO.

Hope you find this info helpful. thumbs_up

Dan wave

EDIT: See you have posted while I was putting this reply together. Good on you for deciding to replace them!!!

Last edited by Gdads51; 01/20/2023 11:30 PM.

~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
It has been max 90 thousandths over for as long as I can remember (back to 1967 at least). Having said that, drums are darn cheap for bendix brakes on light trucks, like $40. At summit racing for ACDelco’s.
In working with my local machinist on converting my 46 1/2 ton to front bendix (long story, truck came to me with bendix rears, huck fronts), plan is to secure our brand new drums to the hubs and turn them just enough to be sure they are centric to the axels.

Chuck


Hank: 46 Chev 1/2ton shortbed
2023 Miata RF Club

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0