The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Truckin39, tclederman, Gazz, Wally / Montana, lumbersawyer), 101 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,092
Posts1,056,461
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1478313 12/10/2022 2:12 PM
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 70
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 70
I’ve scoured this site and didn’t find much, so I’ll dare to ask a question that may already be answered somewhere on the site.
I’m rebuilding a 1955.2 235 and I need a water pump. I see new water pumps on Classic Parts and other web stores. Cost would be less than the cost of locating an original and rebuilding it. What is the consensus and experience out there? Good quality? (I’ve never had an issue with repro pumps for sbc 283s and 327s, so I’m assuming that pumps for the 235 are fine.)

Thanks,
-Mike


1955 Chevy 2nd Series 3100 Stepside, 235cid
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Mike34 With the offshore re-built stuff it just seems to be a turkey shoot,Carters in KC Misouri would be my go to place.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Part history:
55-56 Com. Util. 6 cyl. 2nd Ser.
3836159 Parts and Accessories Mar 1957
3836159 Use 3741033 11-1-57
3741033 Use 3774186 2-60
37741486 Use 6259695 2-75
6259695 discontinued - Parts History Nov 1990

GM stopped carrying the replacement part more than 30 years ago.

Around 2000, for example, the Hastings Company (automotive parts rebuild) in my area was shut down and this work, along with other Hastings plants, was moved to foreign lands. Today many of our parts come from companies scattered out through Asia. Quality control may not exist in these factories. America has become an import warehouse. The part "Joe" bought from Classics Parts in 2000 may not be made in the same country today. From what I can gather, there are preferred businesses that pay a little extra to get the pick of the better made "top shelf" parts.

Everybody has their preference. Classic Parts and Rock Auto are mine but just as soon as I say this, someone will come along a bad mouth them.


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
I have a water pump from NAPA on a 53 235 and it’s been running for about 5 years now reliable. It was pricey but looked like a rebuilt original, they didn’t need a core exchange either.
-s

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
A rebuilt original will have casting number 3836160. Not requiring a core exchange may mean the sold pump is a new reproduction. Same thing with AC/Delco reproduction fuel pumps.


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,873
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,873
Flying Dutchman Water pump rebuilder and seller of antique water pumps for all makes and models
200 Davis Creek Road Services Europe and USA
Selma, Oregon 97538 New Cadillac pumps in stock for 1949 to 1962
1-888-595-1110
outside US call 541-597-4057 ask for Tony
http://www.fdrbp.com/



I'm not sure if this guy is still doing this but I have one of his rebuilt pumps in my Cadillac for 20 years.

Mike Gadaleto Remanufactured water pumps
1734 Arrowhead Drive
Atco, New Jersey 08004
856-753-6788


Atwater Kent Temp sending units, coils, fuel sending units, tube radios, vacuum advance, voltage regs, water pumps
12 Jacques Street Worcester, 1920s to 1970s (mostly 30s, 40s, 50s)
MA, 01603
(508)792-9500
http://www.mykmlifestyle.com

https://mykmlifestyle.com/Antique_Parts_Rebuilds.html


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 451
Might consider Rock Auto, I have a GMB brand from them ‘new in box’ In the shop as a spare, looks like a nice unit, just north of $60.


Hank: 46 Chev 1/2ton shortbed
2023 Miata RF Club
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 70
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 70
Thanks for information. I’ll check out the places that everyone’s recommended.

-Mike


1955 Chevy 2nd Series 3100 Stepside, 235cid
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 70
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 70
I reached out to All American Classics in Vancouver and they had an NOS water pump on their shelf. It’s in the mail to me.

-Mike


1955 Chevy 2nd Series 3100 Stepside, 235cid
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,690
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,690
Related topic: is pre-68 Dave still selling the relocation adapter plates?


1951 3100
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Thanks for mentioning that website Mike.


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I still sell my plates. PM me if you’re interested.
Originally Posted by JW51
Related topic: is pre-68 Dave still selling the relocation adapter plates?


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 70
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 70
NOS water pump arrived today. I was holding my breath a bit, but it's exactly what they said it was, genuine GM.
Couldn't be happier.

-Mike34
Attachments
Waterpump1.jpg (254.75 KB, 67 downloads)
Waterpump2.jpg (295.8 KB, 66 downloads)


1955 Chevy 2nd Series 3100 Stepside, 235cid

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0