I have a 53 3100 1/2-ton pickup that I'm wondering if the frame is bent. When I view the truck from the rear, it looks like it lists to the left. Measurements I've taken confirm this. My height from the ground to several points on the truck such as the running boards, bumper, fender wells show me I have a 1-inch to a 1 1/2-inch difference in height. I've also noticed this when putting the truck on jack stands. I will have to lift the truck an inch higher to clear the jack stand on the passenger side.
Where are possible ways to verify my frame might be bent? Or should I look elsewhere?
Measurements to the body from the ground don't necessarily mean the frame is bent. Springs, bushings, body mounts, etc could be worn instead. The body could be slouching on the frame if attachment points are rusted or pads and bushings are missing.
You'll have to take measurements from certain points on the frame to other points on the frame rather than just from the ground or from body panels. Hard to do with the body installed.
How does the truck drive? Does it veer to one side? Are the tires worn in strange ways (both front and rear tires)? Feathering in the treads, etc.
Have someone follow behind you while driving. Does it look like it goes down the street crab-walking?
Have you taken it to a shop for a 4 wheel alignment?
Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 12/11/20222:54 PM.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I would suspect the spring rather than the frame. If you jack up each side until the rear tire is just clearing the ground how do the height of the frame compare side to side?
It is a simple, quick check for any body shop with the proper equipment. Back in the dark ages, we used a series of fixtures that were hung from designated checking points on the frame and eyeballed the relationship between them. Now various types of laser measuring machines can check one out to within 1 millimeter (40 thousandths of an inch). Shade tree quesstimates don't make good nonsense. Pay a professional to do it right. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
My guess is, since the “list is to the left”, it likely is worn out leaf springs. Most likely the left rear, but in replacing that one it would be best to do both left and right. In so doing the shackle hardware and bushings may and likely will, need replacement as well.
The only way I can think of to check for bent frame would be on a huge surface plate and using a 3 point set up to set it on. Would need accurate factory dimensions for the frame.
Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks. Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.
As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
If you want to check for twist, you could use a magnetic angle gauge Example on the rear crossmember and front crossmember as it sits and compare the readings you get on each. To check for racking (one rail forward of the other) you need to use diagonal measurements from corner to corner. Hard to do unless the cab and bed are off.
But what the guys said about spring sag is likely what you're looking at.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Well, it's been a while since I posed the question. Today I got the answer. I finally pulled the rear springs out and took them down to the spring service shop and had them re-arched. After a battle trying to get the outer sleeve out of the rear shackle, the reworked springs went back in without too much trouble. After getting everything back in and the tires put back on, once I set it back on the ground everything straightened back up. The back end not only sat square again, but it also raised the back end about 2 inches. So, it was definitely old tired and worn-out springs causing the problem! Now time to move on to the front end.
Thanks for following up with a final result of what you found and congrats on it being an easy fix (springs VS bent frame)!
You got any to go along with the info???
Would be interested to see before and after shots if you have them.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Dan, this is the best I have. Not the best for seeing the difference. In the newer photos, you can see the rear end sits higher and square. Plus, it has more of a forward rake to it.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)