Picked up a 216 out of a 1939 car today, and was surprised to see these metal tabs spot welded underneath the valve cover grommet holes. The 216 on my '52 truck doesn't have them. Did Chevy quit putting those on at some point? Seems more likely mine came off years ago before I got the truck.
Have used stacks of inner tube rubber cut into 1 inch squares with a hole in the middle, with fender washer on top to tighten against, but the rubber still tries to squeeze through.
Matthew 6:33
1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100 Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55 Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216) www.truckwithaheart.com
Interesting. I don't think my valve cover has those. I'll have to check next time I pull it off (for installing the engine.) I didn't notice that the grommets had were squeezing into the valve cover though. They have a pretty sizeable flange under the washer that should prevent that from happening.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.