The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (baldeagle, Southerntruck, Hanks custodian, Woodcmiami, J Lucas, Rusty Shackleford, TooMany2count), 79 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,398
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 322
T
Professional procrastinator
Professional procrastinator
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 322
I really felt like I scored on ebay with this part. Granted it was in the middle of the night when I could not sleep but I digress. Everybody knows the aftermarket door latches for the AD trucks are junk. Everybody complains. This one was listed as "NOS" passenger side door latch for 47 to 54 Chevy/GMC trucks. Brand new part never used. Only taken out of the box for pictures. Genuine GM part. I am no expert as I have never bought a cheap chinese aftermarket latch before so I don't know what they look like. I only know when I set this next to my original latch there are differences. Close but different. My latch says pat pend on it which is no where to be found on the new one. Levers have different shapes albeit subtle. The box looks suspect in the printing and colors. Looks more like a box from the 70's or 80"s. It was even stapled with the printed flap on the inside. Not right. There are also some pretty good scratches for a brand new, never used latch. I can only come up with two scenarios. 1) It is an authorized GM reproduction latch from the 70/80's and was maybe put on a truck for a short time, or, 2) It is a cheap chinese aftermarket that somebody sprayed some grease on and put it in a used GM box and sold it. I am open to your thoughts on how I should approach the seller.
Attachments
20221019_190427.jpg (334.94 KB, 370 downloads)
20221019_190432.jpg (313.05 KB, 366 downloads)
20221019_190450.jpg (256.41 KB, 366 downloads)
20221019_190503.jpg (207.45 KB, 366 downloads)
20221019_190507.jpg (266.43 KB, 367 downloads)
20221019_190531.jpg (168.11 KB, 363 downloads)
20221019_190728.jpg (141.48 KB, 368 downloads)
20221019_190644.jpg (181.63 KB, 368 downloads)
20221019_190632.jpg (110.69 KB, 366 downloads)
20221019_190446.jpg (270.55 KB, 364 downloads)

Last edited by Twin Jimmys; 10/20/2022 6:07 AM.

1947.2 GMC 1/2T SWB panel
1947.2 GMC 1/2T long bed
1948 GMC 1/2T short bed

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,483
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,483
First, your latch is 47-51 as in 52 they changed to the push button. I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember the company Cowles stamped in one of my latches, catches or hinges. Your right about the packaging, not from the forties or early fifties.
Attachments


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
I would think (and I’ve only had one cup of coffee) that if it were OEM it would have GM stamped in several places along with patent numbers. JMO


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 322
T
Professional procrastinator
Professional procrastinator
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by Phak1
First, your latch is 47-51 as in 52 they changed to the push button. I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember the company Cowles stamped in one of my latches, catches or hinges. Your right about the packaging, not from the forties or early fifties.

Thank you Phil. This should have been the first red flag. Given it was the middle of the night, I drove right past that one. Certainly a clue that the seller did not know what he was selling. Fortunately my truck is a 47. Is the latch you have that is stamped with Cowles new repro or in the truck for a long time?


1947.2 GMC 1/2T SWB panel
1947.2 GMC 1/2T long bed
1948 GMC 1/2T short bed

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
The PN on the box matches with a 47-51 Right side lock assembly from the parts listing. Maybe it was manufactured much later, so could be a NOS lock.
I recall seeing the "COWLES" stamped on my original door locks, but I'd have to go dig them out of the parts pile to confirm that.
Looks like you may have made a good score. Too bad it's not a driver's side lock. Those are the ones that take a beating.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
The Patent Numbers were probably no longer valid when that latch was made. Chevrolet more than likely outsourced the latch because it was still in demand into the 1970's. I remember buying a new in the box 1957 Chevy car rear bumper ends back in the late 70's, they both came in new GM boxes with all the right part numbers, but looked like they were stamped with a press that was half as strong as it needed to be as they were covered in wrinkles. So with that all said I think you have a GM authorized latch that was made way after production stopped. If it fits and works, I'd use it as it's going to be way better than the repo's that are made now.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,483
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,483
Originally Posted by Twin Jimmys
Thank you Phil. This should have been the first red flag. Given it was the middle of the night, I drove right past that one. Certainly a clue that the seller did not know what he was selling. Fortunately my truck is a 47. Is the latch you have that is stamped with Cowles new repro or in the truck for a long time?

My latches were original to the truck. I also think you scored with NOS GM latches.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
I bought NOS locks for the 1952 Chevy pickup in 1979~1980. A dealership in Arkansas had matched sets of locks in stock for many years and had answered a parts request from a dealership in Dallas when I requested these. I believe I paid $135 plus tax for both and it was well worth the cost. Nowhere was Cowles stamped on them but they were in boxes that were marked Genuine GM Parts...and I can't recall if the boxes looked like yours but maybe they did. They were exactly correct when compared to the originals and have held up very well.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Info from GMPartsWiki
The GM Parts History says 3684167 (Driver's) was discontinued in 9/74 and 3684168 (Passenger's) in 11/73.
Looking at the GM MPLs, there were no part number supersedes between 1947 and 1971.

Comparing the left (old) and right (new) images, the old latch does not look like any of the NOS latch pictures that I have saved.
I also think the new purchase is a NOS latch.
But what about the old latch. Scratch head. A used clone?


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Jul 2022
Posts: 10
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2022
Posts: 10
The box makes' it look NOS, but the part doesn't. He might have used and NOS part on his or anothers truck, and clean his up and put it in the box.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Originally Posted by hotroddude
The box makes' it look NOS, but the part doesn't. He might have used and NOS part on his or anothers truck, and clean his up and put it in the box.
I believe that's a true NOS part. Not sure what makes you think it's not. ohwell

Here's some pix of my original locks that I cleaned up, reconditioned, and zinc plated. They definitely have the COWLES lettering stamped in, although the passenger side one is pretty faint.
Attachments
IMG_5501.JPG (263.88 KB, 95 downloads)
IMG_5502.JPG (410.03 KB, 94 downloads)
IMG_5503.JPG (250.01 KB, 95 downloads)
IMG_5504.JPG (333.54 KB, 95 downloads)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
TwinJimmys Looks like it is a turkey-shoot people out there who don't know...or who do know !! Guess since you have it try it,if it works and is safe for your passenger be glad!! My wife went out and got in the 51 left the door handle down first turn door swings open !! Only time ever,otherwise has been safe ,secure,opens and closes well. Now earlier had to weld in a shim to keep the door up close in the hole. Outside of that have been happy with door action.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0