Looking for input on replacement of cord type gasket / seal on underside of air cleaner lid and body on 3 piece (hd) oil bath air cleaner. (I.e. '59 261), not finding much info on it. Might lay a bead of rtv in the groove, let it skin over then place wax paper between things & lightly assemble.
BC 1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc 1949 GMC 250 project in waiting 1960 C60 pasture art Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
IIRC, "Steele" rubber products are some of the best available. Understood the link says for "ferd" applications, but it's cut-to-fit, glued in place, and should compress just fine for what you need.
Hope it's helpful.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Looking for input on replacement of cord type gasket / seal on underside of air cleaner lid and body on 3 piece (hd) oil bath air cleaner. (I.e. '59 261), not finding much info on it. Might lay a bead of rtv in the groove, let it skin over then place wax paper between things & lightly assemble.
I’ve tried half a dozen different things to solve this same issue on this same style air cleaner, none of them proving effective. I’ve cut strips of air cleaner foam. Tried various types of felt.
I will say that whatever you use, needs to be pretty compress-able. Too stiff and the air cleaner won’t sit down right.
My 3 piece oil bath has been converted to paper element and also has a terrible whistle at part throttle. I’m about to give up and put the smaller oil bath back on.
Tell people the whistle is the supercharger winding up.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Back to the original topic, I think making your own gasket out of RTV might be the ticket. When you say lightly assemble, you mean set it down in the carb to conform to the air horn?
If it's anything like the oil bath filter on my Cadillac, I think he's talking about the giant O-ring that goes around the perimeter of the air cleaner base on which the cover rests.
You might try making one out of soft rubber vacuum hose of the appropriate OD. It's hollow so it will compress.
Go to Home Depot or Lowes. They have tons of different types and sizes of hose for different applications.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Window washer fluid tubing is about an 1/8" -3/16"
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Instead of wax ed paper, a trick I used to use to form parts or repairs from epoxy type resins was to wax the mating part. You can use butchers wax.
Last edited by Phak1; 09/17/20224:11 PM.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
It's the upper seal, about 8" diameter. Have several carb to filter housing gaskets around so that's not an issue. Have several lids so I might try rtv on one of them. Thanks for all the input.
BC 1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc 1949 GMC 250 project in waiting 1960 C60 pasture art Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
If one piece has a thin edge, I'd get the smallest, softest rubber tubing I could find, then slit it with a knife from one end to the other. Put the slit over the thin edge and cut the tubing to length.
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
It's the upper seal, about 8" diameter. Have several carb to filter housing gaskets around so that's not an issue. Have several lids so I might try rtv on one of them. Thanks for all the input.
Can you still get the carb to filter gasket? Or you have old ones?
We used it to polish wood floors before they were coated with polyurethane. Like shoe polish without the dye.
Last edited by Phak1; 09/18/20226:02 PM.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
There are kits available to make your own large diameter O-rings. They have lengths of various thickness rubber and the glue to connect them after you cut to the correct diameter. Here's an example: Link A little pricey if you're just looking to make just one O-ring, however.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
phak1 Oh it's a brand I see,just not seen it here,would be johnson around here. Thanks for the reply.
Yes, same stuff! I bet neutral shoe polish would work too!
Last edited by Phak1; 09/25/202212:58 PM.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum