I just bought a 1954 4400 flatbed. I know the tire question has been asked a million times and I have searched but not found the answer I am looking for. I want to upgrade to a modern 1 piece rim and see that the 9R22.5 is pretty much a direct replacement. I got in touch with the guys at Wheels Now, and they don't have any rim shells in a 6.75 width to make an 9R22.5, but could make a 10R22.5 with a 7.5" width.
Has anyone ever installed this size on their truck? Looks like the wheel diameter is 2" bigger (40.4" vs 38.4") width is 1" larger (10.1" vs 9").
Thanks for the input Ed. I agree that the 10x22.5 would be way overkill, but now I am even more confused. How are you running 9R22.5 on the stock rim? I thought they required a single piece rim? Short of swapping out the rims etc, is it possible to run an 8.25-20 on the stock 5" wide rim? I have been able to find 8.25-20 in stock, but have not had much luck sourcing 7.50-20.
GM started making stock 22.5 x 5” tubeless wheels in ‘56, I run 9 x 22.5” tires on those stock GM wheels-in the picture. 20” tires cannot run on 22.5” wheels!
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
I recently found some nice virgin Firestone 10R-22.5 at a truck tire shop, they came off the steers from a local school fleet, had them mount on my original 6.00" tubeless rims, they look great with no sidewall bulge and they fit under my grain box. I don't consider them overkill as they match an optional size from the factory.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Stock 22.5” wheels with 10 on 7.25” bolt pattern are getting hard to find, look on late ‘50’s farm trucks, school buses.
Another option is ‘60’s 22.5” wheels with 10 on 8.75” bolt pattern. Requires drilling 10 new mounting bolt holes, a hub spacer, etc., come in at least two widths, measure carefully. Picture on left.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Do you have a part number for those wheels? Or is it just something that has to be hunted down?
There are part numbers for the different rims in the parts books, but they will be listed for the '56 and newer trucks (first year for the 22.5 rims). These rims will have the same bolt pattern as your truck, but will have a larger center hole...your truck has the 4.75" hole and the '56 and up have a 5.25" hole so you'll need to have spacer rings made.
Guys have been looking for these rims for years, they are getting hard to find as they only came on the 1956 and up 4000 Series trucks. The 5000 and 6000 Series had 6-lugs. Being scarce is why guys are having rims modified or custom built at considerable cost.
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
In 54 the center hole was changed to 5.25, so no need for a spacer. I think I am just going to have new ones made. I got quoted $329/ea, so not terrible. Less hassle than trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Those aftermarket wheels tend to be considerably heavier and thicker than standard wheels. The wheel studs on the rear axle are too short for the aftermarket wheels and the lug not doesn't fully engage. Just FYI