The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (baldeagle, Shade Baby, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,336
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
I now have a Harrison fresh air heater! In the 70’s as a kid when I first got this truck I used a heater from J.C Whitney. But now I’ve moved up in the neighborhood. So my question is was there a proper placement of the heater hose clip? I have the clip, but know I need to drill a hole through my beautiful paint job so I need to get it right. Thanks.
Attachments
7C1644BA-BFDF-48D7-AF38-CF251A82D64E.jpeg (218.77 KB, 251 downloads)


Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
Why isn’t the hole already there?
Did it get welded closed?
Anyway someone needs to get you a good photo of the whole inner fender with the hole
But I would suggest getting as many data points as you can first
This sort of detail could be one of those situations where is no single correct answer and you find hole location variations
But who knows, let’s see what happens.
I’m not near my truck by I recall it was “in the middle about” lol

Aren’t you really close to turners auto wrecking?
Maybe go check them out with a tape measure in hand
Fresno down town is 6 miles from one of the best junk yard in America for these old trucks
I’m envious of your location
-s

Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
Great call. Turners is a great yard. But even for AD trucks it’s pretty picked over. But it’s worth a try. I’ve filled in a lot of holes on this truck, but that is not one of them. Over 1,000 pictures along the way to help with my memory. This one of the fender well is the best I have. And unless it was behind the support, I just don’t think there was one there. Cheers!
Attachments

Last edited by ChevyDarren; 08/30/2022 3:29 AM.

Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Every heater install was pretty much custom, as they were dealer installed. That being said, here's a pic from my '51.
Attachments
IMG_3185 - Copy.JPG (243.16 KB, 228 downloads)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
You've probably got enough information already. but here's another photo. A previous owner installed a coolant reservoir and I opted to keep it. For some reason it never dawned on that person that the clip on the fender wall was for the heater hoses. They were just flapping in the breeze.

You can see that the clip is in a direct vertical line with the first fender bolt after the bracket. The screw hole is exactly 2 1/8" from the overlapping edge of the fender.

Where did you get the clip?
Attachments
IMG_20210917_185836.jpg (112.82 KB, 221 downloads)
IMG_20210917_182201.jpg (114.76 KB, 220 downloads)
IMG_20210917_182206.jpg (82.25 KB, 219 downloads)
IMG_20210917_185820.jpg (73.63 KB, 219 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 08/30/2022 2:23 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
I have the same clamp shown in It Otto's first picture. I also have one holding the two hoses that go to the valve together.

Last edited by Forty9; 08/30/2022 4:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Ed
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
I think you are correct. Mine appears to be a dealer install with hose replaced over the years. My 52 inner fender has no holes at all.
Attachments
20220830_153645.jpg (147.75 KB, 190 downloads)


1952 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
I got a used clip from The Filling Station. I think I got lucky. Thank you for all the advice and pictures. In the 50's it was just a work truck and maybe they popped the clip in where it looked best. But I thought by chance there was a dealer install template like there is with many of the other accessories. You guys seem to always have those brochures so it was work asking before getting the drill out. I have seen a lot of pictures of these, but as the saying goes measure twice, drill once, or something like that...


Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
Found this image online today and thought of this post
-s
Attachments

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
That's where the hole for the clip is on my inner fender. I think that's what that depression in the fender liner is for - to keep the hoses tucked out of the way.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
At first glance that seems logical. However, I don't think that's what it's explicitly made for. The driver's side has the same scallop where no heater hose will ever be routed,

I think they are just scallops in the stamping to help keep the sheet metal rigid.

Also, the hoses aren't really out of the way down there. They'll be closer to the dizzy, draft tube, fuel pump and plug wires, etc.

The location of the clip on my truck puts the hoses up on top of the fender, truly out of the way of the passenger side of the engine.

Of course since the heater was added by the dealers, there probably is no standard "correct" location unless someone locates a Chevrolet accessory manual instructing dealers how and where to place the heater components.

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 08/31/2022 10:46 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
I found this a while back
Maybe someone has more of this document
-s
Attachments
heater_hose.jpg (143.33 KB, 132 downloads)

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
They show everything except the clip mounting it to the inner fender! In fact, their diagram just shows the hoses running wild along the fender.

One is way over on the fender and the other is swinging in the breeze.

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 08/31/2022 10:50 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
Lol I know right!
Maybe mounting the hose to the fender was so obvious and intuitive it wasn’t needed in the documentation
Because who wouldn’t know how to do that step smile

But for authenticity now
We are all paying for the lack of explicit instructions
I keep examples like this post in mind whenever I’m tasked to write documentation for work related things.
-s

Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
2ManyTrucks, I have that same image on my board in the garage. But I did find a second page. Maybe there was no right or wrong way to do this. But that surprises me. Seems like there was a Bulletin for every accessory. I like the hoses trucked down low in the depression. But agree that might just be luck. And then I have my concerns about rubbing the new paint. And I know this was a question about the clip placement. But with my old JC Whitney I had the hoses tied to the fender brace. Now I’m wondering what direction I should go.


Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
I wouldn't worry about the hoses rubbing the new paint.

The clip holds them pretty tightly. There's no evidence of rubbing on my fender. Any burnishing that does occur will be hidden by the hoses anyway.

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/01/2022 11:33 AM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
One final post on the heater hose clip placement. I used the placement in Kevin’s picture of the fender. I also like the use of the well in the fender. Very clean. Thank you for everyone input.
Attachments


Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,902
Looking awesome sir! thumbs_up

Thanks for sharing a closing post. Am sure the discussion and resulting solution pictures will prove useful to others in the future. grin

Dan wave


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
Jiminy Christmas! That engine bay is cleaner than my house!

Except the underside of that upper radiator hose is bringing down the rest! Better get out the Black Magic!

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 09/04/2022 4:31 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Darren,
Nice pics. That hose clip looks factory installed.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
klhansen Wow your inner fenders have better paint than my whole rat-mobile truck,guess i'll just stay out in the woods !!

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
OMG!! Didn’t think my truck had that clip but couldn’t remember how it was set up. Would have never guessed a large cable tie holding the two hoses up to the engine bay upper bars. Here’s a couple pics. Been this way for a good 20 years. LOL!! Time to think of a better method before that zip tie breaks.
Attachments


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,826
Looks factory to me!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0