The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, KEVINSKI), 87 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,706
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 38
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 38
Hi Guys, first post but been lurking for a couple years now!

Sorry to ask another wheel question, but there seems to be so much floating around

As I understand, starting in 55’, the one ton trucks have a larger diameter rear drum - 12”F & 15”R. With this, the 16” wheel diameter options (dexstar, wheel vintiques, ford e350, etc…) don’t work because of clearance issue over rear drums.

Working to confirm, but seems like the 19.5 commercial wheels (rickson/P30), OEM multi piece or OEM 17.5 single wheels are the only real options.

My truck has the 3 piece wheels. I am planning to buy new rubber for them and keep my eyes open for a single piece 17.5 set.

Am I missing an option for my truck?


1955 Chevrolet 3800 2nd Series
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Rust, welcome, years ago I built a single rear wheel 52 one ton, the truck had the larger 14" rear brake drums (which continued up to 59) I was able to use Furd Econoline wheels 16", not only did they clear the rear brake drums, but they also cleared the tie rod ends. I fitted the wheels with 235/85 tires, they gave the truck the proper stance, hope that helps.

Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 38
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 38
Thanks, you are right, 14” rear.

I ordered a Dexstar AM20766 to test fit front and rear. I will reply here once they come in and I test them out.


1955 Chevrolet 3800 2nd Series
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 238
P
Rustbucket Ranch
Rustbucket Ranch
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 238
The 19.5 wheels on a P30 would most likely be duals, and some of those have the 5/10 lug pattern.


1949 Chevy 3100 (In the family since new)
1955.5 Chevy 3100 - in the DITY Gallery - (Dad's truck)
1955 Chevy 6500 - in Big Bolts - (Possible parts truck?)
1958 Chevy 3800 w/9 ft bed - in Project Journals - (Current project)
1959 Chevy Spartan 10400 - in Big Bolts
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Dual 19.5 wheels are common on a P-30, and so are the 5/10 lug....
However in earlier years GM made some single wheel step vans and other vehicles that ended up with 19.5" 8 lug single wheels.
They are a little hard to find now, but well worth finding if you can. Using an 8R19.5 tire keeps the original tall and skinny look of a 1 ton, about 32-33" tall. I have some on my truck and like them a lot.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 38
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2022
Posts: 38
So following up here can confirm the Dexstar AM20766 fits and clears with a set of Firestone pie crusts SKU 682300.

Fitment is tight over rear drums and is close to steering knuckle but clears and rolls free with no spacers.


1955 Chevrolet 3800 2nd Series
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
B
Camp Commandant
Camp Commandant
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,399
Just to add and to attest to Grigg’s post, if the picture actually appears, this is exactly what he was talking about
Attachments

Last edited by Bill Marlow; 08/10/2022 10:03 PM.

~ Billy
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division
1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures
1959 GMC 860 | Pictures
1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures
I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 11
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 11
So I think I'm reading this right I have a 59 Chevy 1 ton dually farm truck it's a 3800 or 38 whatever they changed there am I right in assuming that the newer trucks with the 17-in wheels will not fit my 58 1-ton dually?


Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0