The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (TUTS 59), 95 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,624
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
I am looking for new tires. My 49 one ton Chevy has original 750-17s. I put bias plys on my 47 one ton and they shook my eyeballs out until warmed up and even then they never really smoothed out. I’m not seeing a radial option of that size available. Can anyone enlighten me? Should the bias tires be so rough riding? Thanks! David


1949 Chev 3800
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,729
FWIW ... I'm one of the weird ones around here. I run 7.50 - 17's on my truck and I think they ride just fine. About three years ago, I replaced the previous set (about 12 years old). I am still using the multipiece wheels. My local tire shop demounted the old ones, mounted the new ones and balanced them all. The balancing helps the ride a LOT, I'm sure. I am very comfy on these tires at highway speeds on limited access highways (I cruise 60-65 and can sprint to 70+).

Note: My local tire place is not a chain tire place. It is a small business that also does ag and Class 8 trucks. They are not afraid of multi-piece wheels or bias ply tires.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
Bias ply tires do well after being trued. The high spots are shaved off and then the tires roll like a pool ball on a pool table. I've had this done to my tires, it's amazing the difference.

tire truing video


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 95
Thanks for the replies! I suspect mine may not have been properly balanced.


1949 Chev 3800

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0