Hello all! I am new to the forum and also the new owner of 1946 2-ton. I have been browsing the forum and learning alot from the wonderful members. I have a question about the brakes on my truck. When stopping, the brake pedal travels quite a bit before you can feel any braking the suddenly the left front wheel locks up. Before I do the obvious of bleeding the system, is there anything specefic that I should look for? Also, is there a preferred place to purchase brake parts from? Thanks in advance!
It sounds like the brakes need to be adjusted. Older vehicles didn't have self-adjusting brakes. So, as the brake pads wore down, the distance of travel from released to pressed against the drum was longer, causing the pedal to sink down farther before the brakes would engage. Unless the brake pedal feels spongy (in other words, not resistant when stepping on it) after the brakes engage, it's possible they don't need bleeding. Read this. How to adjust drum brakes
It does sound like something is wrong with the left front brake, so you should probably inspect that by removing the drum.
It sounds like the brakes need to be adjusted. Older vehicles didn't have self-adjusting brakes. So, as the brake pads wore down, the distance of travel from released to pressed against the drum was longer, causing the pedal to sink down farther before the brakes would engage. Unless the brake pedal feels spongy (in other words, not resistant when stepping on it) after the brakes engage, it's possible they don't need bleeding. Read this. How to adjust drum brakes
It does sound like something is wrong with the left front brake, so you should probably inspect that by removing the drum.
Originally Posted by Mike B
Welcome to the Stovebolt
I agree with Paul! Remove the left front drum and see if you have a brake fluid leak that got the shoes all sticky.
Rock Auto, NAPA and Jim Carter Truck Parts are where I'd start my search for brake parts.
Mike B
Thank you fellas. I will start with the wheel that is locking up.
Biggin69 What a beauty,are you using brake fluid ?? If so left front may be leaky also sounds like adjusting is in your future. should end up with a good half pedal so your cylinders are moving they're cups to keep them in good shape. On trucks that set a lot I put silicon grease (ignition grease) on the brake pistons so they don't set-up so bad. Caution don't try to use bearing grease,will create a nightmare !!