Hi all. I have a 1960 Chevrolet C60 dump truck. The steering shaft joints, top and steering box end need replacement. Looks like I will need to remove the steering box to remove the shaft. At that time I can count how many splines. Looked around just a little. It was suggested I put in a U-joint type. Anybody been here before? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.
RobVee Is that a joint that has like a piece of belting in it ?? If so they called those a rag joint because that rubber belt would gat like a rag in there. It was made captive but would get sloppy so on working trucks had to change em regularly. We kept some handy but were common,power steering kept them protected.
No. Not a rag joint. But I did find an alternative. The 1976-84 Jeep uses the same bell shaped part. It has two four sided nuts that fit inside. Then a steel washer and a retainer clip with rubber boot. The Chevy has a 36 spline shaft coming out of the box. Mine was splined only in about 1/3 of the circle. The jeep one was fully splined. I used all of the innards with my bell shaped joint, and every thing fit perfect. Steering good now. Especially with the brand new 8.25 x 20 Bias pies from Simpletire.