Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,228 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2015 Posts: 2 Moderated | | Moderated Joined: Feb 2015 Posts: 2 | I have a 50 Chevy with a 235 inline 6. My truck had been sitting idle for several months and the other day I started it. Seemed to run fine for a couple of minutes then it abruptly quit. I tried to restart it and the engine turned over fine but never fired. I let it sit and came back the next day only to discover I had left the key on, and the battery appeared to be dead (starter would not turn). So, I recharged the battery and tried to start it. Still no activity in the starter. Seems like an odd sequence of events. What is the sequence of tests that I should run to get this thing going? Thanks!!! Joe | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 | Even thought this is a Engine Shop or Electrical Bay question, I’m going to leave it here so you can maybe get some quick responses. I’ll relocate it later this evening.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | Begin by pulling both battery cables and do a thorough cleanup with a wire brush or a dedicated "battery post cleaner". Your local parts store will have one on the shelf, and it's something every stovebolter's tool box should have. Pay specific attention to the inside of the cable terminals. If the points happened to be closed while the ignition switch was on, they're toast now. Inspect and/or replace them and see if the spark comes back. If the coil didn't overheat and boil the oil out of it, chances are that it's still in good shape, but points simply won't tolerate more than a few minutes of "ignition on- - -engine not running". Also check to see how much voltage is at the battery posts (not the cable terminals) during cranking. 6V systems should not drop below 4.5 volts with the starter cranking the engine over for 15-20 secnds with the ignition off, and 12V systems should crank for the same time at 9.5 volts or more. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 2,457 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2022 Posts: 2,457 | Need more info.
Stock stomp starter? If not, please give details of starting system.
Turn on headlights. Try to start. Do headlights go dim, go dark or stay bright?
'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12 '52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 61 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 61 | | | | | | Joined: Feb 2015 Posts: 2 Moderated | | Moderated Joined: Feb 2015 Posts: 2 | Even though my battery showed 11 volts or so, that was not enough to turn the starter. So I jumped it and it started right up. Thanks for the help. Good to know about the ignition switch! Joe | | |
| |