The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jays58, Youngin' Tut 59, 39Master85), 91 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,468
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
I am having trouble understanding how to keep the brake from hitting the engine side of the firewall through adjusting the Toe Board Clearance. With the spring pulling back it is not clear to me that there is any adjust that is going to stop the brake pedal from hitting the fresh paint of the firewall. I know there are bumpers available, but I have not seen them pictured in any of my publications.
I have added a dual diaphragm master cylinder in place of the original but I do not believe that matters.
Attachments
Toe Board Brake Adjustment.jpg (204.68 KB, 139 downloads)
Brake Pedal to Firewall.jpg (192.95 KB, 136 downloads)
Master cylinder.jpg (266.33 KB, 131 downloads)

Last edited by ChevyDarren; 05/27/2022 1:58 PM.

Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
No bumper on the brake. Only the clutch has a bumper.
In most designs, the master cylinder internally limits the pushrod from being pulled out completely.
I would check this on your master cylinder. Maybe it's different.
The master cylinder is not strong enough to push the brake arm and pedal back to a normal position so the assistance of a return spring is needed.

Last edited by buoymaker; 05/27/2022 2:16 AM.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Harold go back and read the poster's question again.
He knows he can add a bumper on the brake arm but he wants to know why should he need to when the truck came from the factory without one.
He knows there is a problem. Got any ideas?

Last edited by buoymaker; 05/27/2022 3:55 AM.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
I still can’t understand how adjusting the push rod would limit the clearance if the spring is pulling the brake forward. I can understand that the 13/16 clearance you are looking for is the distance between the toe board and before the master cylinder is engaged. But without a bumper I don’t see how you prevent the brake pedal from contacting the firewall/toe board.

Last edited by ChevyDarren; 05/27/2022 3:29 PM.

Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
The master cylinder has a stop (C clip) that prevents the piston from coming out. The factory setup had a rod that is attached to the piston. This push/pull rod is attached to the brake pedal. Adjusting the length of this rod gives you the clearance that is specified.

If you change the master cylinder to a more modern one where the rod is not attached to the piston so it's simply a push only rod, then the pedal can be pulled back by the external spring and it can contact the cab. (or stopped by the brake light switch)


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
OK, that that clears things up. If you have replaced or upgraded the master cylinder you will need to use a bumper to stop the travel of the brake pedal. I did not realize this because I replaced the master cylinder after the cab was removed from the frame. Once the cab was back on the frame, it was clear I had a problem that needed resolved.

Last edited by ChevyDarren; 05/27/2022 9:31 PM.

Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Good explanation Gord.
Attachments
Master Cylinder.jpg (70.89 KB, 50 downloads)


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
C
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
1950 Chevy 3100 216 3 Speed.
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 197
Makes sense now. The lock ring is holding the push rod in place and this holds the pedal in place. Thanks for the picture. Worth a 1,000 words!


Darren
Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0