The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (papas52, Otto Skorzeny, Lightholder's Dad, Millenimech), 167 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,266
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1447563 04/09/2022 11:32 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 83
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 83
Hey all!! It’s been a long time since I’ve dropped in. I have my 1948 Chevy PU that my grandad installed a 1955 235 in in the 1970’s. In 1983-1984 I restored the whole truck. Drove it off and on from 1984 to 2007 as I was in the Navy. It would sit then I’ll get it back on the road. In 2007 I was daily driving it and put it in storage at my dads house when I retired from the Navy and moved to Alaska. Fast forward to 2022. I moved back to WA in 2019 and got the truck over to my house in 2020. In 2021 we drained the fuel installed new plugs got it to fire up. Not well but running. Rebuilt all the brakes then got busy with life again. Today got it to fire in ether. But not carb. Changed fuel filter and rebuilt carb. Installed new plug wires. Got it to fire up and run but not idle. Also this time started to overheat while running.

So my question is the upper hose and top tank were super hot but the lower hose and radiator is cool so I think it’s a stuck thermostat.

Additionally it is still running like it is running on 4 cylinders. Am I looking at the possibility of stuck rings? Something else?

Thanks again!

Garry


Garry K in Pac Nor West
1948 Chevy PU 235 SM420 4 spd
1932 **** B pu
1964 Datsun 4x4 with SBC, SM465 4spd and Rockwell xfer Dana 44Fr and 12 Bolt Rr.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Possibly bent push rods if you didn’t wake it up properly. Time to do a compression test.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,459
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,459
And before you try to crank it again get that year old gas out.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 157
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 157
I'm in the same boat.
Fresh rebuild 261 - driven less than 500 mls (without any problems) - than sat for over 10 years, now it's not firing on cylinder 2 and 3 - tons of gas in the oil.
Checked all the usual suspects from stem seals, valves, pushrods, electrical, carb etc. - no dice yet.
First (dry) compression test was fine, gonna do a wet one next, and also a leak down test.

Can't think of much, which caused that on a perfectly fine engine, just by sitting several years.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Your fuel pump could have a hole in the diaphragm from sitting for so long and it's now pumping gas into the crankcase.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 157
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 157
Got an electric pump, original hole is blocked.
With an engine not firing on 2 cylinders, of course you get gas in the oil.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0