The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jay R, 5cameo8, Barry Martak), 145 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 26
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 26
I'm finishing a 75% restoration of a 41 pickup. We did everything but the driveline as it was in good shape. It uses a torque tube driveshaft. The seal at the rear of the front stub driveshaft tube is leaking.

Question, to minimize labor, how do I remove the short tube (with ball joint) and replace the leaking seal. Can I remove it without removing the transmission? Can I loosen the torque tube bolts and slide it back into the rear end and get enough room to remove the short tube and replace its seal? Photos attached.
Attachments
driveshaft1.jpeg (29.99 KB, 34 downloads)
IMG_3626.jpeg (33.96 KB, 34 downloads)


Lee

1981 C10 "custom deluxe" stripper in white "Ralph"
Will work on any classic
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Believe it or not : the procedure described in the 1941 Truck Shop Manual describes disconnecting the torque-tube and rear-end from all "attachments" and then sliding/rolling back the torque-tube and rear-end.

Do your "repairs/replacements" and then slide the assembly back into its "normal/natural" place.

I have done this. It is OK as long as you have the gumption, tools, jacks, stands, and space.

Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 26
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 26
I have a lift. I run a classic car shop. I'm trying to keep costs down for the customer. I also have that manual. Thank you very much. It just hasn't been to much help in most cases.So I didn't look. But, if I can find an easier way...

Doesn't sound like it...
Sounds to me like I should recommend the drip. Tough call.
Attachments
lifted.jpeg (37.64 KB, 21 downloads)


Lee

1981 C10 "custom deluxe" stripper in white "Ralph"
Will work on any classic
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 26
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 26
Just need running boards...
Thanks for any and all help. I don't do 41's every day, So the Stovebollt is a place where I have met quite a few.
Attachments
IMG_3601.jpeg (40.13 KB, 20 downloads)


Lee

1981 C10 "custom deluxe" stripper in white "Ralph"
Will work on any classic

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0