Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,302 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 29 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 29 | Fellow Knucklebusters, What was powering those late 30's GMC COE's? :confused: | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I've read that GMC used Oldsmobile and other non-Chevy GM inline sixes before the GMC motor came out. I don't recall if they also used Buick or Pontiac, but I know at least one other manufacture was used in some years. I also don't know exactly when GMC started producing their own motors, but I believe it was during the 30's.
You can probably get a real good answer if you visit your neighbor at oldgmctrucks.com.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 29 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 29 | Oldsub, Yeah,since reading your post,I remember something about those engines  : .I'm not sure if it was the Pontiac or Olds.Thanks for narrowing it down,however do you have any ideas where to look for accuracy and specifics????? Any suggestions would be MOST APPRECIATED!!!!!!!  Thanks so much!! Ron | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 171 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 171 | flathead 6 cyl. pontiac. had the indian cheifs' image cast into the head. robert | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | The Heavy Duty GMC COE's, in the late 30's,thru early 40's, used the 308, 361, 426, & 477cid. gas engines. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 | Olds engines and engines similar to Pontiac were used in the mid to late thirties and the 228, 248 and 256 and the 6-71 diesel engines were available in different models of GMC starting in 1939. 1940 2 1/2 ton COE 4 X 4 was a 270. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | I'm looking at a GMC Engine, Parts Replacement Book, right now, from 1946, & the following GMC engines are listed, 213, 223, 228, 230, 236, 239, 248, 257, 270, 278, 286, 308, 331, 400, 426, 450, 451,& 477. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 | | | |
| |