The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (TooMany2count, 1955 1 Series, Mike B, klhansen, Otto Skorzeny), 135 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,123
Posts1,056,653
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 44
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 44
I removed my intake and exhaust manifold to clean and evaluate and there is a big crack in the exhaust manifold, see pics below. I assume I need to replace it but figured I'd ask if it's repairable, or if it is, whether that's even a good idea. The crack wraps around most of the manifold although I cannot flex it by hand (I didn't try to snap it in case it can still be welded).

If I replace it, should I look for another old part or is there something new I can bolt in its place? The intake looks OK.
Attachments
IMG_2161.jpeg (649.95 KB, 296 downloads)
IMG_2162.jpeg (273.29 KB, 291 downloads)

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Get a good used one. They are all over the place.
George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
That crack is in just the right place to put in a divider baffle to make a split manifold for dual exhausts. Otherwise, look for a replacement. There are offshore "clones" of the old cast iron dual exhaust headers, but they're pretty poor quality and don't fit well. The supply of original equipment single exhaust replacement manifolds and the Corvette six cylinder dual exhaust system dried up years ago. Good condition used ones are available- - - -try a "parts wanted" post here, and search Ebay also.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 44
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 44
Thanks. I posted a wanted ad and will look locally and on eBay as well.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,328
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,328
When you get a new one and you are not going to do anything with the old one I would salvage the spring and the heat riser flap and weight in case you need it in the future.


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 44
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by KEVINSKI
When you get a new one and you are not going to do anything with the old one I would salvage the spring and the heat riser flap and weight in case you need it in the future.

Good tip thanks. Those are all in good condition and functional.

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Henrythe wound You could bolt that to a head,take a blue blade (thin grinding wheel) cut it completely in two weld with stainless. The trouble is the casting has lost most of it's carbon and is brittle now. Like us we've lost most of our carbon at this age LOL. Best bet is find a clean,straight,not to rusty replacement. Have several but there 2000 miles away, and are well rusted !!

Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 164
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 164
They’re so plentiful I don’t even save them anymore if I scrap an unrevivable engine. I live in the city and don’t need codes officials breathing down my neck over parts I don’t need.


I invest my money in precious metals, mostly rust!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It looks to me there is another crack at the 1-2 runner.
George

Last edited by Wrenchbender Ret.; 12/27/2021 7:13 PM. Reason: 1-2 runner instead of 5-6 runner

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I bought one on Ebay a little while back. It was good but I had to get it planed. The part was nice but the shipping was a killer!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 100
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 100
Weld it up
Try Muggy welding products.Works really good Amazon sells it


!956 Gmc Napco 4x4 Factory line built .

Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 569
S
Donald S.
Donald S.
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 569
I have that exhaust manifold as i changed to dual exhaust and dual carbs on my 1953 that has a 235. Let me know if its something you might be interested in?[email]dcsjr472earthlink.net







[img]http://flic.kr/p/2mf6Bd6[/img]

Last edited by Southerntruck; 01/02/2022 8:18 PM.

1949 Chevy Carry All
Follow the resto in the Project Journals

1953 Chevy 5-window
"Frame off Restoration"
Follow the resto in the DITY

Beginning to End Slideshow
More images in Flickr
\|/\|/ Dual Ex. \|/\|/Dynamat

Please don't tell my wife how much this thing cost!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Buying, selling or giving away in the forums outside of the Swap Meet Forums is prohibited activity. Thanks


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0