The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (MaxStewart, MikeE, ShopRag, 59 fleet, DougH6100, Hotrod Lincoln), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,661
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 6
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 6
I am just starting to restore my truck. I don't want a Hotrod, or a restored truck that is to nice to use. More like an everyday driver that is safe. My question is about changing my front drum brakes to Disc with one of the suppliers kits. Also changing over to a dual master cylinder. Some have told me to get a Camaro front clip to weld in. Not sure I want to go that way. Any advise on this?

Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 26
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 26
The challenge is the location of the brake master. If placing it under the floor, it will not be where the original master was and it will be hidden under the floor. I had a 55 here with this problem and the top of the master where you fill it was located under solid floor, so no adding fluid or bleeding. I ended up cutting two holes in the floor to get to it.

I would not install this type of system in my own truck. I would relocate to the firewall if I could... But that presents many challenges in itself..
Lee


Lee

1981 C10 "custom deluxe" stripper in white "Ralph"
Will work on any classic
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
In general, if brake parts are available for your 48, stay with the drums. If not a hot rod, not driving at high speeds, drums are safe. No front clipping!!!!
Dual Master cylinder conversion kits available. Example: American Classic Truck Parts 71-201 and 71-984. Also Brothers Trucks and others.
You can arrange a remote fill on firewall.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 322
T
Professional procrastinator
Professional procrastinator
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 322
I have done two of these conversions to disc brakes with a power dual master which mounts where the original was. I had to notch the trans cross member which I then had welded with flat plates to keep the strength. Everything came out great. My parts came from cpp but that was a long time ago. Pretty sure they still sell the same kit. It uses camaro discs. Hardest part was knocking out the old studs due to using thicker wheels. If you are mechanically inclined it is not a bad job.

Last edited by Twin Jimmys; 12/01/2021 11:56 PM.

1947.2 GMC 1/2T SWB panel
1947.2 GMC 1/2T long bed
1948 GMC 1/2T short bed

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,198
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,198
Changing to power disc brakes was one of the more satisfying projects on the truck. I used Camaro disk brakes, Camaro rear brakes (changed entire rear end to Camaro) and Camaro master cylinder. Only non-Camaro parts were the combination valve (I used one from a 1/2 ton pickup, but the Camaro one would probably work fine) and the booster (needed smaller diameter booster to fit under floor). The idea was to keep everything Camaro, so all the components work together as a system as designed by the GM engineers.

I agree with Twin Jimmys; it wasn't hard to do. I'm using 5 bolt, 15" wheels from a G10 van so I didn't even have to change the studs.

The truck stops well.

I don't see the need for a new clip unless you are planning to lower the truck. IFS would be nice, but I installed an anti-roll bar which improved the handling enough to satisfy me.

Note: Changing the rear end, converting to open driveshaft was more challenging. If the rear end (brakes) are not changed, you might find the front/rear balance isn't right and you may need to make some changes or add an adjustable proportioning valve. Other members here can comment on that.

Last edited by Gord&Fran; 12/02/2021 12:36 AM.

Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Discs do not stop any faster than drum. Just so you know. They heat up less then fade less and better when submerged thru water. It may be fun and interesting to do. It's not a walk in the park and sure not cheap. Doing it depends are your goals, driving frequency, loads and conditions. As everybody here knows, drums have been used for years. My 2011 truck has drums in rear.
Just giving all the pros and cons before launch.
Here is a Video for the dual master.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,430
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,430
If you don't want to change your wheels several vendors like LMC or Brothers sell kits that use the original 6 lug bolt pattern. You can also upgrade to roller bearing at the same time.


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 427
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 427
I ordered one of the front disk brake kits from Master Power Brakes for my 40 1/2ton and have no complaints on the quality of the parts in the kit. It's pretty much mid 70's Camaro stuff.

I'm running the manual dual master mounted under the floor using a universal pedal assembly for a Model A. The mounting bracket attached to a boxed section of the frame puts the pedal slightly to the right of the steering column; which is where I wanted it to land.

Getting to the master isn't an issue as I'm building a new floor for the truck, so my plan is to simply create an access panel with a cover.

Last edited by 32vsnake; 12/02/2021 3:43 PM.

1940 1/2-ton
Low skill and low buck build
Follow in the Project Journals
In the dark of night, she's a looker.
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 631
Originally Posted by bartamos
Discs do not stop any faster than drum. Just so you know. They heat up less then fade less and better when submerged thru water. It may be fun and interesting to do. It's not a walk in the park and sure not cheap. Doing it depends are your goals, driving frequency, loads and conditions. As everybody here knows, drums have been used for years. My 2011 truck has drums in rear.
Just giving all the pros and cons before launch.
Here is a Video for the dual master.


The front disc conversion is night vs day change………the front drums were marginal when they brand new. Then theres the dual master and power brake advantage.

Best upgrade along with modern door latches.


The only reason a modern vehicle use rear drums is a cost savings.

Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 6
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 6
Thanks to all for the advice. Considering the cost of the disc brake conversion, dual master and misc parts to do it, I'm going to rebuild the wheel cylinders and stay with the drums for now. Gradually do the upgrade later.

Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 71
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 71
I used the power disc kit from CPP on my 51. The difference is night and day. I had to remove my trans crossmember which wasn’t used anyway. I fabricated a ne member behind the trans for rigidity. I cut a new hole in the floor to have access to the dual master. Bleeding them was a complete nightmare, but have no regrets whatsoever. The roller bearing upgrade was nice too.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0