The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (baldeagle, Southerntruck, Hanks custodian, Woodcmiami, J Lucas, Rusty Shackleford, TooMany2count), 79 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,398
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 48
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 48
Hello to all,

I am currently restoring my Chevrolet C 60 Firetruck,
Year of manufacture 1966.
I am in the process of refurbishing the dash. On the left side there is a aperture in it. I guess an analog clock can be installed there.

And that is already my problem.

I never thought it would be so difficult to find a suitable clock with a diameter of 3 inches.
Unbelievable. I've looked everywhere, but I can't find anything.
If any of you have an old analog clock for this dash or know where I can buy one, I am grateful for any tip

Greetings Brian

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)


1970 Chevrolet C10 Stepside and 1966 Chevrolet C60 Firetruck (Germany)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
The clock for a 1966 truck is an accessory that you could purchase at a GM dealership.
It is a universal clock that mounts on top of the dash and was also used on cars.
Today the clock and housing are rare and overly expensive.

Do you have the original housing?
If not, save your money and buy a clock with a magnetic base for you dash.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203447267462
Attachments
Clock 01.jpg (55.83 KB, 81 downloads)
Clock 02.jpg (142.38 KB, 81 downloads)


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Also there was a change from analog meters to fault indicators.
I have not been able to find the year for the change.
Attachments
Clock 03.jpg (109.01 KB, 81 downloads)


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 48
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 48
Hello together,

I have the lower dash in the photo.
I have the tachometer in it on the right and an orifice on the left. There I wanted to put an analog clock in the appropriate size of 3 inches.


1970 Chevrolet C10 Stepside and 1966 Chevrolet C60 Firetruck (Germany)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Brian

You'd need to know the exact diameter if you want it to fit exactly. Here's one that's 3-3/8 inches from Summit Racing.

Link


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 48
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 48
Hi Kevin,

thanks for the tip.
This watch is unfortunately too big, but I found one at Summit that might fit. With me fit exact 3 inch pure.


1970 Chevrolet C10 Stepside and 1966 Chevrolet C60 Firetruck (Germany)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Brian, I would advise you not to modify your dash to fit a clock. It will be difficult to make it appear as a normal dash gauge.

*) The new clock will have a glass or clear polycarbonate "crystal" or lens and the dash already has a clear polycarbonate cover. You may have double light reflection. You may have to remove your clock bezel and lens.
*) The distance from the face of the clock to the dash polycarbonate should be the same as the other gauges in the dash for appearance.
*) An analog clock will have a stem for time setting. You will have to drill a precisely positioned hole, for the stem, in the clear polycarbonate of the dash. This hole needs a seal to keep dust from the internal gauges.
*) The instrument lighting of the clock needs to be roughly the same intensity (Lumens) as the other gauges.

Many of us have a clip-on or portable GPS to use in our old trucks. It provides a map, KPM/MPH like a speedometer and a clock.

Last edited by buoymaker; 12/01/2021 2:00 AM.

"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 48
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 48
Thanks for the tip.

I will think about it again. Why is there an orifice in there?
What else can be installed there?
The opening must be intended for something.

Greetings Brian


1970 Chevrolet C10 Stepside and 1966 Chevrolet C60 Firetruck (Germany)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
LMC has a 64-66 decal set that shows an optional vacuum or air pressure gauge (see attached picture).
The original optional gauges will be hard to find.

Also there is discussion of a dash restoration at other forum:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=562983
Attachments
Decals and Vac 01.jpg (61.33 KB, 35 downloads)


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
Original tachometer. Also hard to find.
Attachments
Decals and Vac 02.jpg (31.82 KB, 32 downloads)


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
Originally Posted by buoymaker
Original tachometer. Also hard to find.

I have one of those, haven't install it.
Could you get it with 6 cyl or only 8?


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
B
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,660
One question leads to several questions.

The original tachometer option was mostly used on big trucks.
There are reproduction tachometers (V8 only) available at classic Chevrolet truck websites.

GM part numbers can be found at:
GMPartsWiki.com
Parts and Accessories Catalog P&A 31 May 1966
Section 9.750 Tachometer Head-Head Assembly-Harness Assembly and Parts

Check the following yourself in case there is an error:
GM #3852111 for 6-cyl engines.
GM #3839947 for V8 engines without transistor ignition.
GM #3885480 for V8 engines with transistor ignition.

Discussions:

Reproduction tachometer - Ignition contacts and/or HEI
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=660292

1960-62 Tachometers required transmitters
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=8258575

Tachometer adapter, tach adapt
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=536616

I'm signing off on this topic.


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0