The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ponchogl, DadsFirstPickup, Otto Skorzeny), 204 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 51
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 51
Team I still got issues with my C10 starting.

My 64 has a 73 350 in it. Runs good and it's been my daily driver for 2 years ( actually sold my new f150 its my only vehicle now)

When I start it sometimes it will do the clicking then turn over slow, then finally catch and fire up. I put a new starter with cylinoid a week ago and it worked great. Yesterday it started the same thing again. I checked connections and all seems to be tight. Anyone have an idea what I should check to see what the problem is? I was thinking maybe timing but it runs pretty darn good.

Thanks


1964 Stepside C10
"Well we didn't get all dressed up for nothing." ~ Braveheart
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Don’t rule out getting a bad starter.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 51
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 51
True, I bought it at local parts store. Probably one from off shore.

Won't hurt to swap it again I guess. (Those are some heavy rascals )

Thanks for the advice


1964 Stepside C10
"Well we didn't get all dressed up for nothing." ~ Braveheart
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I lean towards something other than the starter.

1. Battery, Battery, Battery.
2. Battery cables.
3. Battery connections. Clean the posts and the clamps.
4. Ignition switch.
5. Wiring/miswiring.
6. Connections/terminals broken/loose.
7. Advise part number and vendor of new starter.

You say "still have issues with starting". This indicates you have mentioned it before? I don't see that. Please explain any history. Any wiring done. Any other parts replaced, etc. When did this happen and how long was it operating OK. The first step now is to have the battery checked by a professional.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 51
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 51
Bart, you win the prize. My neg battery cable went to frame I got a new cable put it to block. Starts like it just had a shot of tequila.

Thanks folks.


1964 Stepside C10
"Well we didn't get all dressed up for nothing." ~ Braveheart

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0