The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (JW51, KEVINSKI, Joe H, WingWright, 3800GUY, Gdads51), 121 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,255
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 22
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 22
I have a 39 Chevrolet Master Deluxe car. The orginal engine is a 216 but the block is cracked. So I have 2 other engines I can use. Can anyone tell me the size of both engine and what year? Which one would be better? I will probably will ad a T5 transmission and the rearend. What gears would be for highway 3.50? Thank you for your help.

1 CL9601592
2.06417087F

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Do the 2 other engines have 4-screws around the base of the valve covers, or, do they have 2-bolts through the top of the valve covers?

Find and post the codes found in these links:

2 bolt engines

4-screw engines

Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 131
'
'Bolter
'Bolter
' Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 131
If the crack is on the right side just in front of the petcock you should read the previous discussion about a common crack in that area and the simple fix

Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 131
'
'Bolter
'Bolter
' Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 131
Oops disregard

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Numbers are in initial post. Let’s help ID these!


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Like Tim said, we need more info...pictures would also help us help you.

Serial number prefix code "CL" and suffix code "F" are not showing up in my search. What are the casting numbers?

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Numbers are in initial post. Let’s help ID these!

1. CL9601592
2. 06417087F

Maybe those are Engine Serial Numbers?

Post the various codes that are found at locations shown in the link given in my post above.
They will help ID the size and year (and maybe the application) of the engine
- casting codes
- casting dates
- and maybe designate the use of the engine - car/truck and maybe the size of truck)
The casting codes are the most useful codes for IDing an engine.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Depending on the 5th. gear ratio of the T-5, a 3.50 rear axle might be a bit too tall. Something in the 3.70 to 4.0 range might be better. If those engines might have been built in Canada, the serial number charts available for ones made south of the border won't be of much help. Try looking for casting numbers, located down near the oil pan rail just behind the timing cover. A 216 engine that I'm working on currently has the same number as the one behind the distributor stamped into the gasket surface where the pushrod cover fits, near the front of the engine.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 22
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 22
Thank for your help. I will now what to look for. I love the help I get from this forum. People with more knowledge than I have.

Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 22
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 22
I went back rereading of the post. I misunderstood the location of ID numbers. I will look and give the correct numbers and location I found them in. I apologize for my confusion. I have been sick for awhile.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591

Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 22
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 22
I hope this helps thank for all you assistance.

I did find the correct on engine block bellow distributor 3764476

Con4 low right side towards the back of the block
B240 same as above location
06110878F255C flat space left of the distributor.
Top of the 3836848 Con 9

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
The code 3764476 is a 235 produced from 58 thru 62. The number 3836848 is a head code and that was produced from 56 thru 62.

Codes courtesy of a fellow ‘bolter, Deve’s website. http://devestechnet.com/Home/CastingNumbers

Last edited by Phak1; 09/24/2021 12:31 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Originally Posted by Asahi1234
06110878F255C flat space left of the distributor.

06110878 = engine serial number starting with 0001001 at each engine plant.

F = Flint Engine Plant

255 = Second Series 1955

C = engine type...check this letter, I don't see "C" as a good code letter.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 22
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 22
I looked at engine type it look like it could be C or B. But I think you maybe the letter B. Thank you so much for all of your help.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0