The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (Justhorsenround, 55shaker, buoymaker, Hotrod Lincoln, baldeagle, D B Cooper), 120 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,671
Posts1,006,304
Members44,997
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
hydra-matic transmission
#1412801 Sat Jun 05 2021 09:01 PM
J
PA OUTLAW
Hello all I have a1954 chevy 3100 1/2 ton . Seam's like I have been restoring it forever! About done removed steering collum and gear shifter to clean and paint .Dose anyone know the process for reassembly do you start with the shifter in the cab and work down I am at a loss I know this is a DUMB question don't know were to start!!! any help would be very very much appractied THANK YOU !!!!!

Re: hydra-matic transmission
jrhackett #1412803 Sat Jun 05 2021 09:42 PM
B
Curmudgeon
Very rough idea of what to do from my poor memory:

You removed the steering column and steering box which means you pulled the pitman arm off, removed all the parts on the steering column, jacked the truck up and pulled the steering box and column from the bottom (or did you lift up the cab)? Just reverse the order.

Once you get the steering box and column back in place, you can start with the shifter/selector (it fits in one place and has screws holes to mount) and then the shift rod with lever. Be extra careful with that plastic dial, indicator and bezel when you install. They break real easy and there very difficult to find. I would install the steering wheel loosely (in case you have to remove it again).

Verify that the Pitman arm only goes on in one position on the gearbox shaft. Hook up you drag link. Should be in the shop manual.

The next hurdle is connecting the shift selector arms, linkages and shift arms on the transmission to the correct position. The is where you need the book and setting gauges. You will also need to set/recheck the throttle linkage to the HM. Again you need the book. This gets you in the ballpark until you are able to drive the truck.

Last edited by buoymaker; Sat Jun 05 2021 09:45 PM.

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop